• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Keep Military OEM or change scheme looking for advice.

CamoCUCV

So Ive only had my 84 CUCV M1008 on the road about 4 days now. It draws a lot of attention I've noticed especially since it still has a lot of the USMC markings. So now I'm ready to start working on the body and I debating with myself if I should keep it original green and USMC markings or just paint it. I actually like the military look, but Ive never served in any branch. The closest thing for me is a son-in-law in the ARMY, and my brother was in the NAVY. The attention it gets makes me think people will naturally think I'm a veteran. The last thing I want to do is pretend to be someone I'm not. Stolen valor is what comes to mind, it almost makes me feel guilty to drive it. I had a guy salute me in traffic. So I'm thinking even though I love the look I might just paint it all flat black or a CAMO. Will this effect the value? Am I being to sensitive? What would you do ? Like to hear from some veterans too?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's going to be your choice. I didn't serve but keep mine looking mostly original. Consider it a tribute truck. I usually opt for some loud colored shirt to wear when I drive it so folks don't think it's official business.

tobyS

I was an age that didn't serve also. My family males have and my son is on a sub 200 ft under for the summer. I understand a bit of your apprehension when people salute you.

The other day, some friends drove up in a rebuilt 925 that I had sold to a contractor earlier. The 250 engine was immaculate, as was the rest of the truck when I sold it. I didn't recognize it. The owner had painted it a red color. The near perfect cargo cover was gone. It about made me sick.

My vote is to keep it near original or to change it entirely, but not to simply paint it to signify you are not military. The value dropped 1/4, with that red paint, in my opinion.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So Ive only had my 84 CUCV M1008 on the road about 4 days now. It draws a lot of attention I've noticed especially since it still has a lot of the USMC markings. So now I'm ready to start working on the body and I debating with myself if I should keep it original green and USMC markings or just paint it. I actually like the military look, but Ive never served in any branch. The closest thing for me is a son-in-law in the ARMY, and my brother was in the NAVY. The attention it gets makes me think people will naturally think I'm a veteran. The last thing I want to do is pretend to be someone I'm not. Stolen valor is what comes to mind, it almost makes me feel guilty to drive it. I had a guy salute me in traffic. So I'm thinking even though I love the look I might just paint it all flat black or a CAMO. Will this effect the value? Am I being to sensitive? What would you do ? Like to hear from some veterans too?
Thank you for thinking about veterans.

I personally see no issue whatsoever if you keep it as is or bring it back to original.
Your not trying to pass as something your not. Your just driving a OLD former MV that you really like.
They do get a lot of attention!
If you get another salute, wave back or say thanks.

avlon01

As long as you don't try to pass yourself off as a veteran, you shouldn't have any problems.

I never served, and when asked if I served I answer "no." No excuses or stories on why I did not serve. EVERY veteran I've met respects that decision and appreciates the fact I am using my truck to honor the military - not try to pass myself off as one.

People that own horses aren't always cowboys.

People that own sniper rifles aren't always good shots.

People that own boats aren't always fishermen.

People that salute aren't always in the Service.

Don't worry about it. It will be fine. The truth of the matter is - they are probably just interested in your truck.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
People that own horses aren't always cowboys.People that own sniper rifles aren't always good shots.People that own boats aren't always fishermen.People that salute aren't always in the Service.Don't worry about it. It will be fine. The truth of the matter is - they are probably just interested in your truck.
Ditto- Well said

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
look at it this way, you may not have served but your truck has and therefore has a history in the Marine Corps, you wouldn't want to strip a veteran of it's history , see if you can track the unit markings and tell the trucks story,

Was given some DAV tee-shirts by someone who knew I liked the organization. I like to wear them - I did not serve. Had some veterans thank me for my service on occasion when wearing them. I let them know I didn't serve right away but then thank them for their service. Your truck could be the same thing - a way to meet and thank veterans. Don't see it as dishonest. Stan

rustystud

When I bought my M1028 I really wanted a civilian truck but could not afford one. So after getting such a great deal on my CUCV I went and totally modified it back to a civilian unit. Lots of chrome and other trim. I even bought a 383 cid crate engine and sold the diesel. I did keep the handy battery trays and the monster radiator. Now my transmission fluid gets cooled down from the old engine oil cooler, and the power steering gets cooled down from the transmission cooler. What I'm saying is this is your truck now. Do what you want with it.
Of course now my wife wants me to paint the truck CAMO ! Go figure .

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife would kill me if I ever did a civy paint job on one of our trucks, we always try to find our vehicles history, the older stuff the story is in the layers of paint, her 1953 M-38A1 carries it's original tac signs RCA unit 3rd Battery, lots of wet sanding to go through all the layers, up here any vehicles from the 80's on we can track the vehicles service life using the CFR numbers , very interesting stuff and even better when we find in service photos of the trucks, enjoy your truck and tell it's story,

MarcusOReallyus

Hey, I'm a veteran, and I hate the clowns that try to pretend to be something they are not.

Go ahead, make it camo. You aren't pretending anything. If someone asks, just tell them you didn't serve but you love the history of the truck.

I don't see any problem at all. :beer:

nyoffroad

Do what you want, just don't paint it flat black! You'll end up cooking yourself.
I served and one of my trucks is yellow and white with flames and lots of chrome and the other is a semi gloss tan. Flat paint and semi gloss hides LOTS of imperfections.

rustystud

Hey, I'm a veteran, and I hate the clowns that try to pretend to be something they are not.

Go ahead, make it camo. You aren't pretending anything. If someone asks, just tell them you didn't serve but you love the history of the truck.

I know what you mean about the clowns who "pretend" to be exmilitary. It is pretty easy to figure them out by just asking them a few questions though. Especially if they say they where exMarines as there is not that many of us and only a few bases.

CUCVLOVER

My opinion is this. 1: it's your truck so do as you wish. Then here's 2: I like the military look of my truck even though it has a flatbed, lots of off road lights, and aluminum wheels (flat black). I fly 2 flags above my truck, one is Old Glory, I fly it because I'm a proud American and also for the veterans who have kept this country safe. The other flag is the rebel and that is for my southern pride and also the veterans from long ago that fought for that flag. Also since I brought that up i want to clarify something, I do not fly that flag as a symbol of hate but as a symbol of history and tradition.

I enjoy seeing the veterans that have a shine in their eyes when they see my truck.

So that's my opinion take it or leave it.
Good day

rustystud

My opinion is this. 1: it's your truck so do as you wish. Then here's 2: I like the military look of my truck even though it has a flatbed, lots of off road lights, and aluminum wheels (flat black). I fly 2 flags above my truck, one is Old Glory, I fly it because I'm a proud American and also for the veterans who have kept this country safe. The other flag is the rebel and that is for my southern pride and also the veterans from long ago that fought for that flag. Also since I brought that up i want to clarify something, I do not fly that flag as a symbol of hate but as a symbol of history and tradition.

I enjoy seeing the veterans that have a shine in their eyes when they see my truck.

So that's my opinion take it or leave it.
Good day
I don't buy into all that "Rebal Flag" crap from the far left. It's part of our history, but a bunch of people are determined to rewrite our history to what they feel it should have been. I am totally for States Rights which was actually the main reason for the war. They just used slavery as the catalyst in my opinion. :rant:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Especially if they say they where exMarines as there is not that many of us and only a few bases.
I didn't think there was any such thing as a "ex-Marine"? :D

As far as the trucks go, there are plenty of us driving around MVs that didn't serve. I don't recall ever being mistaken for one while driving. I have gotten a few salutes from vets during a parade before, I just figure they were saluting the vehicle and not me. I would never return a salute.

rustystud

I didn't think there was any such thing as a "ex-Marine"? :D

As far as the trucks go, there are plenty of us driving around MVs that didn't serve. I don't recall ever being mistaken for one while driving. I have gotten a few salutes from vets during a parade before, I just figure they were saluting the vehicle and not me. I would never return a salute.
Your right, there is no such thing as an Ex-Marine. Once a Marine, always a Marine, and when we die we just regroup in H*ll ! I actually never liked that last part about regrouping in H*ll. I always said I would regroup in Heaven with the other 2 that where there ! Now I'm not saying that my fellow Marines are a bunch of foul mouthed filthy minded degenerates with only 4 things on their minds, eating, sleeping, fornicating, and killing the enemy, but when I was in Tank school at Fort Knox I was the only Marine that ever attended Chapel service and according to the Chaplain the only Marine he had ever seen come in ! :shock:

Last edited:

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
look at it this way, you may not have served but your truck has and therefore has a history in the Marine Corps, you wouldn't want to strip a veteran of it's history , see if you can track the unit markings and tell the trucks story,

That is also my opinion. Your truck is also a veteran, let him tell his story himself.
If you paint your Truck with an simple colour, then it's just another Truck.

Last edited: