• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

keep the 6.2 or go 454?

notsosanestan

okay so i was given a really rusty 82 k30 454 th400 205. im on the fence about switching it out but my 6.2 engine needs a injection pump and some seals.I dont think it would be too hard the engine in the truck has 120mi on it.runs good truck is a rust bucket i will be parting out the rest probably

pigfoot63

I would keep the 6.2. I have a couple of Suburbans with the 454 . They are faster than my 08, use alot more gas and don't pull a loaded 20 ft. trailer like my 6.2. The swap is an easy one and it's really up to you

jimmy-90

If you have a 454 sitting around that runs good and you can afford the gas that it will gobble with the 4.56 gears then I couldn't immagine putting a boat load of money into fixing the worn out 6.2L since the 6.2 can never be made to run as good as the 454. Also the 454 will make your truck able to tow about twice as much as the 6.2L.

jj

An advertisement in a local(think Allentown,PA-ish) weeky has a 454 plus th400 plus 4.10 dual wheel rear from a 60,000 mile motor home, asking price $1100. Current week's issue. Sixty thousand in a motor home chassis might be considered high mileage/harsh duty in some circles.

indy4x4fab

Banned
if u where in the mid west i would buy the six point two off of u. if u swopped in the 454. my two cents, fix the 6.2 and be done, hands down.

shannondeese

I've had both motors in crew cab dually GMC's. I have towed the same trailer with both of them too. I prefer the 6.2 everywhere except the mountains. I am not a speed demon especially when I tow. The fuel miliage advantage of the 6.2 has me prepping one of my GMC's with a 454 in it now to swap in the 6.2 with a turbo. Just my 2 cent.

midcounty

I have been selling off all my gas powered vehicles and replacing with diesel MVs as hard as I can go. You won't beat the economy of the 6.2, and it has enough power to do what needs to be done. Now if you want a lot of speed and don't mind wasting gas to do it, the 454 may be a good choice. I would fix the 6.2 and have it turned up a bit. Turning it up won't do a lot with out a turbo, but it does make it a little more responsive.

OL AG '89

What life do you want for the truck?

Serious MUD slinging BOGGER? go with the 454, but remember BIG HP is not always the right answer in DEEP mud...

Daily driver occasional offroader? stick with the 6.2, tune it up, replace the old rubber, you WILL be amazed what the 6.2 can do in the mud and on the trails!!

MY2cents

jimmy-90

How in the world are you guys getting your 6.2L's to run anywhere near as strong or stronger than a big block???? It's only supposed to put out as much hp and torque as a straight six or a 305ci.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swapping engines is a PITA. Replace the injector pump, and run the diesel in the CUCV. As for the other truck, part it out - lots of guys want 454s for hot rods and muscle cars, the axles and other misc. parts the offroaders will appreciate.

midcounty

How in the world are you guys getting your 6.2L's to run anywhere near as strong or stronger than a big block???? It's only supposed to put out as much hp and torque as a straight six or a 305ci.
The 6.2 will never have the power of a built up big block, but it can pull nearly as hard as the mid 80's stock gas engines if someone tunes up the IP. The mid 80's 454 was nothing to write home to mom about, and it will drink a lot of gas. If HP is the only concern, by all means freshen up the 454 with a good cam, intake, carb, and headers. You could easily get a reliable 500 HP, but it will come at a cost.

notsosanestan

I currently drive this truck everyday. I eventually wanna get lowest gears possible for the 1 ton axles and then
get a doubler 205/203. Idk what to do tho my 6.2 is so slow and in 4wd H barley makes it over trees offroading
i was guna turbo it but i dont think its worth it to get the pump rebuilt then turbo the engine when i could just
spend a lil more and get a 6BT maybe parting out the truck i can buy a cummins?

hre513

I currently drive this truck everyday. I eventually wanna get lowest gears possible for the 1 ton axles and then
get a doubler 205/203. Idk what to do tho my 6.2 is so slow and in 4wd H barley makes it over trees offroading
i was guna turbo it but i dont think its worth it to get the pump rebuilt then turbo the engine when i could just
spend a lil more and get a 6BT maybe parting out the truck i can buy a cummins?
Keep in mind a Cummins will be loud as **** and heavy. Plus the extra expense of adapting it to fit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks