• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Keeping the Wasp's out

Crazyguypa

After getting my Deuce home over a month ago (still waiting on my SF-97 so i can get plates for it, Thanks again GL), I have slowly been ripping pieces off, sandblasting the years of thick paint off and spray painting them until, for the interim, until I can have the whole truck redon.

My latest project was removing the toolbox and fixing what the gov't boys had broke/trashed. Does the gov't not by wrenches and screwdrivers anymore? It seems like everything gets removed by either hammer or cutting torch.

So anyway back to the topic, I bring the box into work to have the welders fix the holes and make it functional again. I have no welding skills, so I am leaving it up to the experts until I can learn the trade. Besides what better way to pass time at work than working on home projects. The guys did a hell of a job welding up the holes and even reinforced the edge and put a new locking plate on. After the welding was done, I sand blasted the entire box inside and out, primed the outside and gave it a new OD rattlecan coat.

Finally what to do with the holes in the bottom. Apparently they were put there to drain any water that would get in, but if water can get into the holes (1/2" dia), then so can Wasp's and Bee's. I can't stand either one, and hate getting nailed from these little bastards when you find them where you don't expect them to be. Like in your toolbox.

So, I picked up two cans of spray in bedliner (from Walmart ~$8/can) and some aluminum screen material. I gave the box a quick first coat of the bed liner, and the carefully placed a 3"x3" piece of screen material over each of the holes. I then placed a plug (Cover), slightly larger than the hole over it, and gave it another 2 coats. The plug kept the bedliner spray from filling in the drain hole while I coated the inside. The second coat pretty much attached the screen to the first coat, and the third made sure it was totally covered. I let the liner set up for about a half an hour (so it wouldn't run) and then removed the plug (cover) from the hole openeing. The plug (cover) used to protect the opening will be trashed after you take it out.

THE RESULT:
A toolbox that has a durable inside coating that will still drain any fluid that gets into it, but keeps the flying menaces out of your toolbx.

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks really nice. Great idea, but I could see the screen getting clogged with dirt that found its way into your box on your tools.

Looks really good!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very good :beer:

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm convinced that wasps love green trucks as much as, if not more than, we do!

I think it's the smell or something. Maybe the heat they radiate.

It bugs me.

littlebob

rmgill said:
Do they make a light or white colored bed liner. It'd make digging around for something easier.
I've heard you can get it blended in just about any color. The person that told me said he bought the spray equipment and liner from Carquest. I plan on doing my bed at some point and heat wise anything would be better than the standard black
littlebob

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely a great idea!

Just for comparison sake, Miltrucks turned me on to this product:

http://www.linex.com/

Apparently, it is the choice of the military. I was very impressed. It is "dealer only" application. I know it's probably not cheap either. But the liner itself? Awesome!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks