• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kenworth XM1074 Test Drive

M1075

Well, I finally got the KW running good enough for a thorough test drive. I was very pleased. It runs great, the auto-tranny shifts smoothly and the brakes will lock up and send you through the windshield. The next step is to take it to a hydraulic shop to get the hydraulic system serviced and repaired as necessary. Then I will get it painted and add some some MTVR double beadlock and runflat wheels with 16R20 XZL tires. Should be a handy truck once complete!

Attachments

M1075

Re: RE: Kenworth XM1074 Test Drive

CUCVFAN said:
Cool. :drool:
What what is designed to haul?
This was Kenworth's (PACCAR's) prototype to compete against GM and Oshkosh for the Palletized Loading System. It was primarily designed to haul ammunition, but the load handling system allows the truck to haul all sorts of cargo via interchangeable flatracks and modules.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Kenworth XM1074 Test Drive

Oh, that is even better! Got any leads on a pallet or do you already have one in your yard?

M1075

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Kenworth XM1074 Test Drive

steelsoldiers said:
Oh, that is even better! Got any leads on a pallet or do you already have one in your yard?
I already have a few M1077 flatracks and other modules for use with my M1075 and M1076. The KW PLS trailer that Westfolk picked up for me will come in handy too!

M1075

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Kenworth XM1074 Test Drive

gimpyrobb said:
Thats bad azz! Does the front winch work?
The hydraulic system is currently inoperable. I'm going to have to pay someone to go through it and get it working properly. That winch is reversible for front or rear pulls. You can see the cable in the last few pics.

Flea

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Kenworth XM1074 Test Drive

It looks like there is a lot of interchangeability with commercial off-the-shelf parts. What's the powerplant in that sucker?

M1075

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Kenworth XM1074 Test Drive

Flea said:
It looks like there is a lot of interchangeability with commercial off-the-shelf parts. What's the powerplant in that sucker?
The commerical parts is a big plus. I ran the VIN at Kenworth and got a 13 page build report on the truck. Engine is Cummins 89BC1V444. That is 444hp and 1400lb/ft torque. Tranny says RT0146109BMT 9- speed.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Kenworth XM1074 Test Dri

Very impressive James. The turning circle probably isn't too good or can you lift one or more axles?

M1075

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Kenworth XM1074 Test

cranetruck said:
Very impressive James. The turning circle probably isn't too good or can you lift one or more axles?
Fortunately, the last axle is also a steering axle. There is 80" spacing between the last 2 axels, where the mid two are 61" apart. I don't know if that was required for the rear steer setup or for some other reason. Anyway, as you can see in the pics, turning radius just isn't a big priority to me out here in Oklahoma.

M1075

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Kenworth XM1074 Test

steelsoldiers said:
Looks like it has CTIS too. Got any pics of the inside?
Yes, it has CTIS. The controller box in the cab looks like the ones used with the M939 series. I haven't spent time on the CTIS yet. I'm going with different rims and tires, so I am not sure if I will keep it or not. The stock rims are 25" but I am hoping I can squeeze 20" rims on it to run the common XZL 16R20. New tires for 25" rims are BIG money!

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nice. Same controller and same shift tower as the 939A2's. I wonder if the CTIS pneumatic controller is the same as well as the deflater valves and the wheel valves. Let me know sometime when you get a chance to look at it. Thanks! Does it run a Haldex Pure Air Plus air dryer?

It sounds like 20" rims and tires are the way to go.

I like how they stuck the 3-lever switch in the middle of the dash.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was a truck platoon leader during the test that used these trucks at Fort Hood we ran them against or M915 M872 tractor trailers in hauling ammunition from North Fort Hood all the way around the perimeter, about a hundred miles in total and back simulating a short haul in a combat theater. They are awesome trucks and the hauled the original flatracks that morphed into the PLS by Oshkosh. The test was interesting and if you have interest in it say so and I will elaborate on it.

M1075

I want to add that David sent me an original hard copy of the KW manual from the testing in the early nineties! Wow, I am glad he saved that manual and sent it to me free of charge. Thanks David, your awesome.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks