• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

kettenkrad

MILRET45

Never having seen one other than in photos I've often wondered how the cycle type front wheel works to steer a tracked vehicle? Does turning the handle bars also engage track braking to change vehicle direction of travel?

AaronW

I understand, through friends that are not in the hobby, that there is one (or something very similar) owned by a fellow near Longview, WA.

HAWKMAN

Never having seen one other than in photos I've often wondered how the cycle type front wheel works to steer a tracked vehicle? Does turning the handle bars also engage track braking to change vehicle direction of travel?
I gave that a thought and figured that they must have had a bar or rod attached to the forks that applied breaking force to the corrasponding track other wise the thing would just go straight. I'm looking into mocking one of these up this year and will be doing much research, will post picks when I get started.......and yes they are coooooooooooollllll!!:-D

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny, I got the latest issue of "WWII History" and there is a nice article in the Kettenkrad. A very good read.

jhigh

Yes they steer with a linkage from the handle bars to a clutch and brake.

Cant say how many are in the US, But not many. We have two here in the Puget Sound area and I have driven both. I know of 6 but may be more.

Attachments

123mack

The wheel functions similar to the unditching roller in front of a halftrack or scout car, at least that is what i've seen them do when run in difficult terrain at re-enactments.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks