• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

keyway question

dirtyfingernails

How crucial is the cork seal for the keyway on the rear axles? I didn't notice anything mentioned in the manuals. Do they go in before the washer? What kind of substitute can be used? Thanks.
Steve

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some guys fill the key-way with silicone(rtv) instead of using the cork piece, with good results. Be sure to clean it well.

dirtyfingernails

Thanks much! I was also wondering how lubrication happens in the rear axle. I'm assuming that gear oil makes its way to the hub flange. What's it lubricating there? Grease is for the bearings right? Inquiring minds want to know. My hub was empty, is that correct, or should there be grease in there?
Steve

houdel

The keyway seal, cork or other, is a MUST HAVE. Gear oil is only for the differential, due to vehicle motion some makes it up into the axle shaft tubes where it is hopefully stopped by the inner axle seal and the keyway seal. If any gear oil makes it into the hub, it can quickly ruin the wheel bearings and brakes. Your wheel bearings should be packed with grease, if they are dry don't drive that truck until you get them packed. The hub does not need to be packed with grease, but the bearings need to be well packed.

FormerNewMVGuy

I bought a sheet of rubberized cork from mcmaster-carr for around $7.00 dollars, now i can make my own for a long time,LOL
The sheet is 1foot by three feet, Thats a lot of inserts!

dirtyfingernails

Lee,
The bearings are greased, but when I pull an axle, GO flows out (about 50 milliliters or so). Is this normal? If the gear oil isn't supposed to be there, why isn't there an inner axle seal?
Steve

jwaller

there is no inner axle seal bc you have the cork and washer. no need for a seal like the front has. although it would be better. all you'd need to do is lathe down a smooth surface for the seal and make up a seal holder. too much work for something that wouldn't result in any improvement in form or function. the std setup works.

houdel

jwaller - Either I don't understand what you are saying, or you'd better go check your -34P TM. Mine shows a "seal, plain encased" inboard of the inner wheel bearing. Strangely enough, it does NOT show an inner seal on the front hub! Unless its show someplace other than the hub breakdown, the only other part I could find was a "deflector" in the front axle shaft section.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks