• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kids in the truck question

Cav Trooper

What are the rules if any, for kids riding in a vehicle that never had seat belts. My son and set grandson would like to go to a cruise in in my M37. The truck has never had seat belts and I cautioned them about it. They, being my son and his wife don't have a problem with it but, what is does the law say in Ohio?? Any idea?

Thanks,

CT

michigandon

In Michigan it used to be that pre-1965 vehicles were exempted from seat belt laws.
Dunno if that's still the case or if its applicable to other states however.

AN/GRC-46

In PA you don't need seat belts unless they were originally available in the vehicle. I thought that Ohio's laws were a bit more lax than PA's.

nattieleather

If the vehicle was not made with seat belts then the truck is exempt from the seat belt law. If it don't have it..it don't have it. Just drive carefully and enjoy the ride to the show.

gungearz

I actually thought that, if the vehicle did not come factory installed with seat belts. That they could not do anything about it. I had a 63' impala without factory seat belts and they couldn't touch me for it. Seat belts were an option back then and to this day.... They still should be. Its a money maker, not a safety issue. They just play it off for safety. I take my 2 year old out in my deuce once in a great while. Without belts... Not on long runs, just down the road to the video store. Everyone watches and admires the trucks. Not the drivers.... Besides, have you seen children buckled in these trucks during a parade recession? I know I haven't.

Bill W

Theres a TB out there somewhere for installing seat belts in M-37's.
When I redid my 37 I put in a set.

twa@ezdn.net

Belts are all good in my M1009 but she is loud so I installed an old portable intercom system I had so now we all have on head sets and we can even talk to each other.
You may need to check with your local police to see if this is OK, I have been given the green light.

The kids love it

barefootin

Check on the law for your area and after that it is a personal choice. "Personally" no one rides in one of my vehicles without being belted in. I have refused to move on many occassions. If I get the "what if I can't get it undone" excuse, I show them where the belt cutter is stored..... My kids only rode in the M35 through our field until I could replace the 2 point belts with 3 points. I now have 3 sets of 3 point belts in it so both of my kids can take a ride. I wish putting a 4th seat in was as easy................................................

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Laws vary by state, do your due diligence and check out OH first. I have always installed a 3rd belt in my deuces for my little ones. Wasn't too particular on the lap belts only. MY M1008 only has a center lap belt but I'm about to rectify that problem. Got some excellent 3 point belts from EdMontana in the classified on the cheap. NOS HMMWV stuff I'll retrofit into the center spot on my Oh-8. Ed is a former neighbor, bought one of my trucks and a good guy to deal with IMHO.

M923driver

From many years in the old car/truck world and other instances where similar issues have arisen, it appears that generally "as manufactured" is the rule. This goes for turn signals, center brake lights, reverse lights, ect. as well as belts. Install them is you wish, but they don't take the place of a responible driver. If you've ever been on a school bus, you'll understand that.

ratat98

Not to hijack this thread, but this brings up another question ive had. What about giving rides on the troop seats in the bed of the deuce? The local police chief doesn't mind me doing it, but I'm still not comfortable with it and I just wonder what everyone else thinks

gungearz

Good question... Even though you should have opened a new thread for this but I wouldn't do it in a M35. I might do it in a M109 with seats in the back. I would only consider that, if I was staying local with nothing past 30mph. Never kids in the back though.

ratat98

Good question... Even though you should have opened a new thread for this but I wouldn't do it in a M35. I might do it in a M109 with seats in the back. I would only consider that, if I was staying local with nothing past 30mph. Never kids in the back though.
Yeah I thought about a new thread but it's along the same lines so ya know...

MSG Rusty

there are seat belts you can get from the parts store or from a junk yard. Thing is, with the way MV's are made The seat belt realy is not needed If you hit another car , truck or telephone pole You may feel a bump.
The real need for a seat belt is to lash the kids down and keep them from bouncing around so maybe the junk yard would be a good idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks