• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kinda got carried away..... M1028 rebuild

richingalveston

those are a lot taller than I thought. would be nice in a 1009. I however really like the armrest that I have on my burb seats.

That is a very nice truck, did you ever sell your big wheels and tires. I would have liked to have them but worried about the law man around here.

keep up the great work.
Rich

ballencd

What happened to the military tires???

If I missed it in the thread I apologize but I was wondering why you changed the wheels and tires from the 20"??

86m1028

those are a lot taller than I thought. would be nice in a 1009. I however really like the armrest that I have on my burb seats.

That is a very nice truck, did you ever sell your big wheels and tires. I would have liked to have them but worried about the law man around here.

keep up the great work.
Rich
Rich
Why would you be worried about the law man with those wheels & tires ?

Those seats look good in there !

Last edited:

richingalveston

non-dot.
I had recentered hummers and got rid of them because Harris and Galveston County they are tough on 4x4's and bead lock wheels.

My truck was being admired by a DPS officer and he let me know that my wheels were not legal. We were at a gas station, he did not pull me over.

I don't want to be hassled, that is why I run regular plates and not any type of antique, classic or bumper numbers. My truck is tall with big tires and most cops like it, especially if they were military but some do not.

I run DOT bead locks now and they can crawl under there and see the stamp if they want.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I missed it in the thread I apologize but I was wondering why you changed the wheels and tires from the 20"??
ballencd - I had to get the truck a little lower to the ground for easier ingress & egress in preparation for my next back surgery. Don't worry, I still have those 20's and may reinstall them after I recover fully. So I purchased 6 excellent 12-bolts and completely disassembled them, sand-blasted & painted them inside & out, and mounted new BFG BAJA 37.5's. Purchased and installed new PVC inserts, spanner nuts, and valve stems from Trail Worthy Fab. Mounted them over Centromatic dynamic balancers. Slick as snot and smooth as silk.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An update - while I am waiting on the time and opportunity to install my new 700R4, I decided to go ahead and install the full-length floor mat from Auto Custom Carpets. This thing was a cinch to install. Simply removed my custom HMMWV seats, cleaned the cab floor, and laid her in. It is over-sized to allow for precise trimming around the edges and sill plates. When I first installed the custom HMMWV seats last year, I didn't like the bare metal cab floor being exposed between and behind the seats, so I found this full-cab model and bought the sucker. Behind the seats, I cut off and ground smooth the factory jack brackets and rifle butt holders, and primed/painted them to match the cab interior. Now I have a flat "package-rack" easily accessible behind the seats. Still thinking about what to do with this newly-accessible area. The new full-length mat came with a new fiber sound-deadening pad for the front part only, so I installed it under the new pad. After I got the pad and mat fit and in place, I decided to also reinstall the the half mat on top of it all to add additional sound deadening to the floor. This is a nice upgrade which I highly recommend to anyone installing bucket seats in their truck.

Attachments

ballencd

Nice Seats!

Sharecropper, Nice Seats and floor! I just picked up a 1991 V1500 Suburban with a bench seat in the front and I miss the buckets of my 1988 V10 Suburban. I'm now looking for a set of seats like this. Nice job. How is the back coming along? ballencd

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well folks, after a couple years dealing with a few health issues, I believe I am finally ready to re-start the work on my M1028.

I am going to ask the moderators to move this thread over to the CUCV Modification section because I am taking my truck in a different direction from stock. If any of you want to keep up with my progress, please subscribe to this thread by clicking on the "Thread Tools" at the top of this page.

Moderator, is that you Doghead, please move this thread over to the CUCV Modification section.

I have a brand new P400 6.5 long block coming, bought and paid for from Leroy Diesel in Texas. I have a Level 2 700R4 transmission from Bowtie Overdrives sitting in my warehouse which will be coupled behind the P400. I plan on lifting the original 6.2 and TH400 out of the frame and installing the P400 & 700R4, and transferring all of my CUCV 12/24 volt stuff over to the new engine. I plan on photo-documenting the entire process so it should be fun and informative. If anybody wants to keep up, please subscribe. The P400 is still 6 weeks away from being shipped from GEP, and in the meantime I will be accumulating all the other parts I will need, such as IP, lines, and injectors. Initially I do not plan on turbo-ing the engine, as I want to see how it feels naturally aspirated.

Ths should be fun. I'll see yall over on the other section.

Glockfan

Sharecropper, I owe my seats in mine to your ingenuity! Thanks so much... I wheel my rig. It’s kind of hard not too being in Utah now. Can you post a link to the universal rag joint replacement? I am going with a PSC 2WD box for the ORD crossover steering. I need lock to lock steering in the mountains.

9E29A2CC-F7A0-4804-B139-B7495439EDBE.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, I gotta' say--- this is one of my fav-threads~! So many still unfulfilling ideas and plans I have for my own 1008 are here--- with pics~! Luv it~! Godspeed Sharecropper~!

SouthernSteel256

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sharecropper did you fabricate the rock sliders/step bars yourself or pick them up somewhere? Looking for something clean and well built just like what you have. Thanks

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sharecropper did you fabricate the rock sliders/step bars yourself or pick them up somewhere? Looking for something clean and well built just like what you have. Thanks
I got those rock sliders in 2013 from a member on SS who went by the name of “SHANKEMDEEP”. I heave tried to reconnect with him several times over the past couple years but he has not returned my messages. I never had his email address so the only way I had to communicate with him was through this forum. For some reason he seemed to have dropped off the grid. The rock sliders he built for me are of the highest quality and everybody that sees them wants to know where I got them. You can look him up in the SS directory and send him a private message and see if he has resurfaced. Good luck and report back for all to know.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to see that your recoup time has paid off.
Yes I am back and ready to go. The new P400 engine has been shipped from AM General and should arrive here in a few days. Yesterday I received a NOS open plane intake from gimpyrob and the new high flow water pump is on its way from FlowKooler. Last week I received a completely rebuilt 200 hp DB2831-4811 pump from Huckstorf Diesel. Already have the new Spinner centrifugal oil filter. Gonna be fun. I plan to photo document the entire process on this rebuild thread. It’s my last rodeo and I intend on making it special.

True Knight

Kinda got carried away......

Yes I am back and ready to go. The new P400 engine has been shipped from AM General and should arrive here in a few days. Yesterday I received a NOS open plane intake from gimpyrob and the new high flow water pump is on its way from FlowKooler. Last week I received a completely rebuilt 200 hp DB2831-4811 pump from Huckstorf Diesel. Already have the new Spinner centrifugal oil filter. Gonna be fun. I plan to photo document the entire process on this rebuild thread. It’s my last rodeo and I intend on making it special.
I have always been interested in getting a P400. I’m looking forward to seeing your progress. Hopefully I’ll get around to putting one in my truck someday too!

I got those rock sliders in 2013 from a member on SS who went by the name of “SHANKEMDEEP”. I heave tried to reconnect with him several times over the past couple years but he has not returned my messages. I never had his email address so the only way I had to communicate with him was through this forum. For some reason he seemed to have dropped off the grid. The rock sliders he built for me are of the highest quality and everybody that sees them wants to know where I got them. You can look him up in the SS directory and send him a private message and see if he has resurfaced. Good luck and report back for all to know.
I also got some of his rock sliders. They are super heavy duty (as all true rock sliders should be). I remember him saying he wasn’t going to build any more because he was getting too busy with other things in life. But as long as you know how to make good welds and use good quality thick walled tubing, anyone can build some strong sliders.

Remman

Wow this was such a cool thread to read. Once this year is over with Ill be looking for a M1008 to restomod. Sharecropper, I hope your health is much improved! Looking forward to seeing this project evolve.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well folks, after 2 back surgeries, 2 hip replacements, 1 knee replacement, and a mild heart attack, the process is finally beginning.

I purchased a brand new GEP P400 long block from Leroy at http://leroydiesel.com/ . This was my first encounter with Leroy and will have to say that he is a fine upstanding young man and really knows his stuff on 6.2 / 6.5 engines. He is very responsive and I recommend him highly.

The P400 arrived at my Kentucky facility on August 6. Although I purchased it from Leroy in Texas, it was shipped directly to me from AM General's GEP plant in Franklin, Ohio. It arrived securely crated and strapped in. I immediately began the task of uncrating it and after a short while had it swinging on my engine hoist. My next step will be to securely attach it to my engine stand for dressing.

There are obvious and non-obvious differences in the P400. The obvious diference is the incorporation of a 3-inch tall cast iron girdle which completely surrounds the bottom end. Although I haven't seen for myself, I understand that the P400's main bearing caps are unique to this engine and are actually integral to the girdle. The non-obvious differences include forged billet crankshaft, forged billet connecting rods utilizing fractured cap technology, heavy duty pistons with ceramic top coating, hardened valve inserts, thicker decks, and improved cooling passages. The engine is rated at 250 HP and 550 FPT non-turbo. it also has a special unique cast aluminum oil pan. Here are a few initial photos, with more to come as the work progresses -

DSC_0221 - uploaded 180812.jpgDSC_0225 - uploaded 180812.jpgDSC_0228 - uploaded 180812.jpgDSC_0239 - uploaded 180812.jpgDSC_0230 - uploaded 180812.jpgDSC_0232 - uploaded 180812.jpgDSC_0233 - uploaded 180812.jpgDSC_0235 - uploaded 180812.jpgDSC_0237 - uploaded 180812.jpgDSC_0238 - uploaded 180812.jpg

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the P400 mounted on the engine stand. The engine is all-metric. The threads on the transmission face are M10-1.5. Anybody planning to do this should be careful, as a 3/8-16 thread will actually screw into the holes for about 3/8", but then become thread-bound trying to screw further into the metric hole. M10 is correct and will screw all the way to the end of the hole, which is around 7/8". I suppose the mistake of using 3/8-16 bolts has been made before, possibly with bad results of losing the engine off the stand.

I couldn't find any M10 bolts around here long enough to attach the engine stand to the engine, so I ordered 200mm (7-7/8") long M10 threaded rod and M10 flange locknuts from McMaster-Carr. Once they came in and I began to attach the stand, I became uncomfortable with attaching the top arms of the stand to the transmission face because of the apparent weakness of the drivers side top bolt hole (red arrow). Because the P400 is much heavier (over 800 pounds) than a regular 6.5 due to the cast iron girdle and associated parts, I decided to move the top attachments up to the back of the heads. I measured the distance from the transmission face to the back of the heads and ordered metric spacers from McMaster. The passenger side dimension was exactly 25mm and the drivers side dimension was 50mm, so i ordered 3 25mm spacers, and then used heavy steel washers to distribute the load all the way around the engine stand tubes. Here are photos so far -

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks