Kinda got carried away..... M1028 rebuild

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made a little more progress today. Got the GM14020856 brace rod installed between the NP241 and the P400 engine block. Also installed the bracket for the new transfer case cable shifter from JB Custom Fabrication https://jb-custom-fabrication.myshopify.com/collections/cable-shifters-cable-shifter-components . The cable shifter will replace the OEM shifter and linkage which would be difficult to access after the new gauge cluster has been installed. The new cable shifter lever and boot will be installed in the flat floor space to the right of the drivers seat for easy operation without having to reach across the transmission tunnel. Already worked through the engineering and confirmed that everything will fit without any issues.

DSC_0791 (2).JPGDSC_0792 (2).JPGDSC_0793 (2).JPGDSC_0794 (2).JPGDSC_0795 (2).JPGDSC_0796 (2).JPGDSC_0797 (2).JPG

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK I got the new JB Fabrications cable shifter temporarily installed to make sure everything worked the way I wanted it to. I fabricated a temporary wooden platform and attached it to the NP241 so that the shifter handle is positioned in the approximate location that it will be after the P400 engine/700R4 transmission/NP241 transfer case is installed in the truck. I decided to abandon the OEM transfer case shifter linkage because the new gauge cluster will make it almost impossible to operate the lever under the cluster. Because I have already removed the OEM bench seat and replaced it with a pair of military buckets, I wanted to be able to operate the transfer case without reaching and without taking eyes off the road. There is a flat space on the cab floor just to the right of the drivers seat which the cable shifter will fit into perfectly. The new shifter handle will come up just an inch or so away from the seat and be instantly accessible with the right hand without looking. I had originally ordered the cable shifter from JB Fabrications with a 48" cable, however this proved to be slightly shorter than I wanted, so I returned the 48" cable and exchanged it for a 60" cable which was the perfect length.

I also decided it was time to learn how to upload YouTube videos. Here is my first -

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been asked about how I plan to hook up all the gauges, pre-oiler, fuel filter, TV cable, etc on the rear of my engine. So I thought I would simply take a photo and then label the things for everyone to see. The photo is un-labeled; click on the PDF to download/see the labeling.

P400 Rear View.jpg

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks