• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kinda new... from IN

Durango_USMC

Howdy,

I've been registered here for a while and eyeballing even longer trying to learn a lot. I got side tracked with work and some of my other hobbies but I'm hoping to make this a new one. I understand it can get expensive quick and I'm generally speaking a mechanical moron (but give me a TM and some tools and I generally can get things done). I didn't play with many of the vehicles when I was in the Marines even though I was licensed for a few of them.

I wanted to start with a Deuce and a winch but... space restrictions are a little rough where I'm at as last time I checked one will not fit in a standard parking space (but... the towing company my apartment complex uses couldn't move something that big with the rink a dink wreckers they have :)). So I'm going a bit smaller. I'm looking into the CUCV's the M1008 and M1009 to be particular, although the GF said an M998 would be perfect. (and yes I hear my wallet screaming right now). I've been looking at one rather longingly in Richmond IN that one of the members here has in the classifieds but my tax return isn't here yet and I tend not to do negotiations without cash to back up my offer. Nothing like having someone negotiate with you for a few days back and forth and then them asking for 2-4 weeks while they get the money.

I'd like to meet some other IN based members to see if there is any way to learn some more from them or maybe tag along on a recovery just to see how things are done and how to get these guys up and running again. I am always willing to learn about something useful and that will interest me.

Steel Soldiers, consider this your warning. I will ask a lot of questions in the coming future. I may never know what all of you know but I'd like to learn a good chunk of it. As a mentor of mine puts it, "Knowlege not shared, in knowledge lost."

Thank you all for the efforts you've put into this site and the information you've shared thus far.

Semper Fidelis

Durango_USMC

Duce

+1 on location I'm about 45 min east if Evansville strait down I64. Leroygreen I drove through mountvernon twice yesterday on my way to IL for some oak beams to support the suspended slab that will b the roof of my gun room. ( found a 78 4wd 250 non runing w 351in it while at the mill)
May buy it if cheep enough for the hi pinion 60.and scrap the rest.

leroygreen

Duce, I've got a '79 4wd f250 I'm working on now. PM me if you get it and I may get a few parts from you.

DUCE, ALSO KEEP A WATCH ON THE STORMS THIS MORNING

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
Welcome from the Indy platoon, I'm located at I70 and I465, across from Naval Avionics (Raytheon) so if your ever in O.D. trouble we got your back.

We are having a http://www.steelsoldiers.com/midwest-us-chapter/80640-2012-spring-dust-off-midwest-mini-rally.html . They are great ways to meet new friends and members as well as learn newthigs that you may or may not have known before.

And your more then welcome to tag along on my recovery of my m818 here in two weeks or this weekend from MI.

Last edited:

Durango_USMC

Thank you all for the welcome. I'm in Indianapolis for what its worth.

Indy4x4fab, I dont have anything green MV wise to add to the convoy but I'm going to try to make an appearance and meet some of the members here and learn a bit more about all these great trucks. I'm reading the thread now.

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
Thank you all for the welcome. I'm in Indianapolis for what its worth.

Indy4x4fab, I dont have anything green MV wise to add to the convoy but I'm going to try to make an appearance and meet some of the members here and learn a bit more about all these great trucks. I'm reading the thread now.
Well when you do get your self some green iron and if you do need a hand the doors always open. Depending on how back of sharp your rig is when you buy it I also have a m172a1 low boy trailer the I cam get my hands on to haul it home for u also with the m818. Might be a little bit over kill for a cucv but at least we will look good doing it.

Also have a heavy duty to bar and a tank tow bar and feet to fit cucv, m35, m809s, m915s, and m939s. The indy platoon has it cover when it comes to recoveries.

First four are of the tank tow bar and feet
Five and six are of the heavy tow bar.

Attachments

Last edited:

Durango_USMC

How many people are in the Indy Platoon? It definitely sounds like ya'll got recovery down to a science! I'll have to keep my eye on GL. Although I really like that m1009 one of the members have for sale in richmond, just not enough funds at the moment.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Well me my wife Mrs._indy4x4fab (shes on here from time to time), I claim Djones (he's in New Palisine), Jeremyk5 (best friend), and jkrieg (he's really out of anderson) and there's and that's it. We really aren't a true platoon but if a members in trouble we and usually get the job done.

Djones (david) is former U.S. Army National Guard, I (nick, aubrey wife) never served but both my parents where U.S. Marines (yes mom and dad), jkrieg (john), never served but runs the McClain Military Armor Museum and comes for a military family. If we pool our resources we are a small force of "it can be done", just ask spark_919 about the haspen fall run and the jeep recovery. My idea which I got from reading the tow bar and recover TM's Jatonkas M35s TMs Towbar VEHICLE RECOVERY MILITARY DRIVERS MANUALes and sparky's deuce.

And if you want to be a member or the platoon its very hard to get in but here's how you get in, YOU SHOW UP FOR RALLIES, there's always and open seat for any one how wants to tag along.

indy4x4fab

Banned
How many people are in the Indy Platoon? It definitely sounds like ya'll got recovery down to a science! I'll have to keep my eye on GL. Although I really like that m1009 one of the members have for sale in richmond, just not enough funds at the moment.
I think the m1009 is sold, I think that's the one treessw is recovering for one of his guys on friday but don't quote me on that.

Durango_USMC

It wouldnt surprise me if it was. Its a very nice looking m1009 but the good thing is there will always be a few more around. Well at least long enough for me to grab one eventually. Im going to attempt to make the rally up in anderson in april if im off that weekend. Were pretty short at work i know were down a couple dozen positions that theyre in the process of filling but no newbies until may. Im definitely going to try for it GF wants to go too.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Cool sounds good to me. Can't wait to meet you, and remeber even if you don't have a MV, you can always come to the rallies. There's always an empty seats in someones truck that you can grab to take a ride in.

Durango_USMC

Im definitely going to give it a shot. I probably wont be able to bivy it out there as mush as miss camping ill probably have one of the girls with me and have to work the ER that night. Im sure ill take someone up on their offer for the ride. I wonder if they got a MV drivers training. My unit got rid of all the 5tons and deuces by the time i checked in and i only owned one truck that was a stick for about a year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks