• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
A event that might be of interest to you guys is the Machine gun shoot at Knob Creek Gun Range, West Point Kentucky (just south of Louisville). If you have ever wanted to attend this will be the last one.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That really sucks ive been going to this thing for 40 yrs . I didnt go every year but come mid apr and mid oct you get the itch if you had ever been to one . Years back people would start moving in on the campgrounds by tue wed and the shoot was 3 days long fri sat sun with the night shoots something to behold millions of rounds of red and green tracer turning that vally into molting metal with all the cars and boats and whatever shot till they desolved and a gun show like non on earth the real deal vendors showed up year after year with stuff that couldnt be had anywhere but the CREEK and no BS vendors saleing gutters and purses and jewelry like most gun shows and you could rent/shoot any kind of machine gun you had ever seen or herd of would be on the firing line which usally turned into 60 or 70 yrds wide sometimes so many shooters would show up with full auto stuff and cannons and flame throwers and you name it it was there . Any and everybody should make the journey and take the young one cause we are losing a national treasure that reminded us that we are still free !!!

FloridaAKM

I started going in fall of 2008 before the election that year & I never saw so much ammo being bought & hauled to customers vehicles hundreds of yards away in the parking lots on military mules. The machinegun fire on the range, Hueys flying nonstop for Friday & Saturday, the explosions on the backside of the range was all so overwhelming to one who had never experienced it.

My knowledge of the closure of Knob Creek Machinegun Shoot is because the folks that run it are tired of it & the way things are going, so this Fall is the last show. I stopped going because of deaths in the group & nobody wanted to go anymore. It was a grand time while it lasted, but every year, more & more things disappeared from the line up to the point of its great attractions had dulled. Lawyers had a great deal to do with this.Knob Creek 2016.jpg

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to every one of them from fall 1996 through spring 2003, haven't been back since (not that I didn't want to, just life got in the way). My schedule this fall is so busy with work-related things and other shows I know for a fact I can't make it. Sad to hear it will be the last one, but such is life.

To be honest, I'm surprised it's still going on at all, what with the increase in ammo prices has been in recent years. When cheap surplus ammo was 10 cents a round, you can expect the guys who can afford to own the full-auto stuff to blaze away on the firing line. Now it's so expensive (a buck a round for the 5.56 and 7.62mm stuff, $5 a round for .50 BMG) that probably even the wealthiest line shooters are hesitant to burn through it all.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I went to every one of them from fall 1996 through spring 2003, haven't been back since (not that I didn't want to, just life got in the way). My schedule this fall is so busy with work-related things and other shows I know for a fact I can't make it. Sad to hear it will be the last one, but such is life.

To be honest, I'm surprised it's still going on at all, what with the increase in ammo prices has been in recent years. When cheap surplus ammo was 10 cents a round, you can expect the guys who can afford to own the full-auto stuff to blaze away on the firing line. Now it's so expensive (a buck a round for the 5.56 and 7.62mm stuff, $5 a round for .50 BMG) that probably even the wealthiest line shooters are hesitant to burn through it all.
Sad but true except for the hard core...
Still, it looks like a heck of an adventure!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks