• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Knocking noise under dash

marand9199

Hey guys, This is my first post to SS so be patient with me if I don't get it right the first time.
I just bought my first CUCV, an 1984 M1009 My problem is, it makes this knocking noise that sounds like it directly behind the middle of the dash gauges.
This happens upon start up and mostly after the truck has been driven,warmed up, shut down and restarted. Like going into the store and coming back out. It only lasts about 10 or 15 seconds but sounds terrible. Any body have a clue whats up with that?
I've done some searching here on SS but can't find anybody that's had similar problems.
HELP!!

O.D. Fever

Check the mounting bolts for the resistor for the glow plugs, it could be like a teligraph key on the firewall. Once the engine is warm it does not shake as bad. Someone will mover this thread to the cucv forum. Good luck and welcome.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved thread to the CUCV forum.

Have you ever owned a diesel vehicle? Have you dowloaded the free Technical Manauls for the truck?

Is the sound a knocking noise or more of a ticking noise?

Since the truck is new to you have you made sure that the batteries are FULLY charged and load tested? Without knowing this any any help we can provide is just guessing.

With diesel engines, FULLY charged and load tested batteries are critical.

FYI, it is the glowplug relay on the engine firewall that is making this noise.

Last edited:

marand9199

Thank you everyone for the welcome greeting!

Ok then, how do I post up on the cucv forum? This website takes a little getting use to.

Warthog; Thanks for moving me to CUCV forum. This is the first diesel I've owned. I drive one for work but don't have to do any maintenance on it. The sound is more like a knock then a click. It almost sounds like you're trying to turn your steering wheel on a car that's been sitting for 40 years and the front-end ball joints are totally dry...no grease. Hard to explain but defiantly not a clicking noise.
Batteries are perfect. I work for a company that manufactures and sells battery analyzers and chargers for automotive dealers all over the world. In fact they had some original batteries that the military used for these CUCV's that they gave me. The truck started must better after I installed them. So I know that's not an issue here. If it is the glowplug relay does it need to be replace or is this a sign of imminent failure?

O.D. Fever; Mounting bolts are good. Thanks.

BigWill1985

I owned a 6.5TD in my last truck, and know these engines pretty well. It sounds to me like you might have a bad glow plug. I would battery test each glow plug to ensure every cylinder fires as soon as the motor's ready to start.

~Will Courtier~