• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

knocking noise

av8rnik

I picked up a 1028 over the weekend and on the 220 mile drive home noticed a knocking noise coming from the driver side front wheel well area. it didnt match engine speed, more with vehicle speed but was not consistent. It came and went.

I pulled over a couple times and looked underneath but didnt see anything that might be causing it. It seemed to get a little worse but would then go away. I attached a video with audio, right about the 10 second mark i take my foot off the gas and the noise is a lot easier to hear. Any ideas on what is causing the noise?

Thanks!

Attachments

Barrman

Check the easy stuff first. Motor mounts, shifter linkage rubbing anything, transmission fill tube and vacuum tube rubbing, leaf spring ends, leaf spring center pins, t-case cross member and mount. Plus the big one that every CUCV seems to have. Torque converter bolts along with a possible cracked flywheel.

Barrman

I had a loose torque converter bolt. It only made noise when I gunned it hard from a standing stop while turning left. I don't know how to explain that. However, you are correct that it should be in time with rpm.

Are your lock out hubs unlocked? Maybe a front u-joint is spinning and bad. This is one of those things you will have to find and then tell us what it was.

av8rnik

The hubs are and were unlocked when i noticed it. Also, it wasnt doing it right away. It didnt start until about 50 miles into the drive home and after about 20 miles of driving over the weekend.

I also noticed a new squeak this afternoon that was happening when i took my foot off the gas. Since this one is constant i was going to get underneath while it is parked in the driveway to see if i can find anything.

With the u-joint, how do you inspect it to see if it the culprit and going bad?

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look for rust around the u joint caps , best way is to pull the drive shaft and check for any loose or binding U joints . As for your other noise , time to get up close and personnel with your CUCV , check EVERYTHING since this vehicle is NEW to you , if nothing else for YOUR piece of mind and everyone's safety .

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same issue that you are describing but on the passenger side.
I finally discovered that the top bolt of the left front shock absorber was missing the metal spacer that the bolt goes thru.
Installed a new spacer and the problem was solved.
Karl