• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Knocking

connectingbar

Fired up the deuce today for thefirst time since a few weeks, and I heard a slight knock on on start up. But when it warms up a bit when it stops. It is very faint but I am thinking that something is ready to go. Should I be worried? or is this normal. The truck has @ 48,000 miles, and just a little over 1000 hrs with spin on filters and Lucas added to the oil

Thanks

n2ojunkie

Check your rocker arms also, Mine were loose and it caused it to knock also. I heard it more in the air filter canister, might want to listen to that when it first starts.

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

Mine knocks slightly when first started. As soon as the oil pressure comes up, I give it a little hand throttle and it smoothes out. I think it is just the cold engine. Once the cylinders warm up a little the fuel burns better. The process only takes a few seconds.

sandcobra164

If it goes away when warming up, it's likely valve lash adjustment or parts waiting for oil to get to them. The last few knock vids concerning starting in cold weather sound just like every Deuce I've ever been around to include my own. Don't ever buy a CUCV, HMMWV or 6.2 or 6.5 Diesel GM product, they sound like a can of marbles being shaken around on a cold start. My Deuce normally smooth's out within about 10 to 15 seconds and that's with spin on oil filters which allow for oil pressure to register within about 5 seconds of starting. Also worth noting, when I used to baby my Deuce, It would knock worse on start-up. There is a PS article concerning a multi not liking the whole "gentle" treatment. If you don't get the motor up to operating temp before shutting it down, fuel washes down the cylinder's, dilutes the oil and can lead to condensation in the valve cover. If you start it, "RUN IT". Their solution to a poor running motor was to get it out and run it about 45 to 50 MPH for around 50 miles to "clean it out".

treeguy

"Their solution to a poor running motor was to get it out and run it about 45 to 50 MPH for around 50 miles to "clean it out."

Dang! Well, I must be babying mine since I'd be afraid of going 50 miles in one trip! Guess I need to be tougher on the old girl. Mine knocks also, like in one of the previous knocking videos, so I just run it and try to think its normal.

connectingbar

It only knocks at first start cold idle then after @ a few minutes it all goes away. The temp has been @ 40 outside. As soon as I can get home when it is light out I will check the compressor and over the weekend I will take a vid of it running on cold start up.

Thanks guys

sandcobra164

TG, yes, if your's clears up when warm, run the heck out of it for a few miles, it'll thank you. I take mine 200 miles away from home once a year to Durhamtown and he always runs better after that trip. More power, smoother. I also take it for a weekly drive to work which is about 40 miles round trip. If you're worried about recovery, just drive around your neighborhood alot of time under full throttle. The cops will stop you before I come over there. These motors hate to sit up, seals and gaskets fail with lack of use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks