• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Knoxville TN, Broke down TN i-40 eastbound near Knoxville

rickf

Well that was certainly a long 5 days, even for those of us watching helplessly. Hopefully there is a lesson to be learned here about being prepared ahead of time. This is not meant as any offense to anyone involved in this move since they "thought" they were within the weight limits. OOP'S! How many times have we seen discussions about overweight loads? Hit the scales first and if it is over then don't do it, find another option. We all see the heavy price Adam paid for this one.

Rick

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, thanks to everyone who offered to help out, and to DH for helping with the tires shop list. A special thanks to Craig Bigugh20 for being crazy and daring enough to go with me to recover it and all his help.

Rick, yes, we thought the load was about 1500-2k less than it was. As it stood, we were putting a little less than 250lbs more than the load rating on each trailer tire. It was still within the load rating of the trailer. Why they put lower than the load rating of the trailer tires on, I can only assume was because the manufacturer or the dealer wanted to go CHEAP. Next time there is any doubt like Rick said, weigh, and if over, don't go.

The important thing is that the trailer is safe at the owners, my wrecker bed isn't actually damaged (the guy thought the disconnected hose underneath had broken off, I guess...) and everyone involved made it home safe.

I'm really going to try to have everything done today to be ready, and go to Brandon's tomorrow with the m915, and the wrecker frame, load the bed on the back of the m270, and still haul it to GA. With all the wreckers there and the many hands, plus the vast supply of parts, it is an opportunity to get it back together in 9 days as opposed to 9 months, that I can't pass up.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
March on soldier(or sailor).

I think it's safe to say, there are a bunch of us that are looking forward to helping you get that bed swapped out at the rally.

BTW, I recommend that Craig, get a psychiatric evaluation.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be sure to bring my Pittsburg Forge 1/4" drive socket set to help with the wrecker.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm really going to try to have everything done today to be ready, and go to Brandon's tomorrow with the m915, and the wrecker frame, load the bed on the back of the m270, and still haul it to GA. With all the wreckers there and the many hands, plus the vast supply of parts, it is an opportunity to get it back together in 9 days as opposed to 9 months, that I can't pass up.

While the bed is off your wrecker, you need to blast and paint it-how do you plan on doing this at the rally?

You need to make sure someone is bringing a compressor with rnough oooomph to do this and someone needs to bring a pressure pot.

I'll bring some paint guns and I have an excess of Gillespie 383 and a few gallons of Type II Waterborne 383 CARC.

:D

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd bring bigger tools guys, or I'll give you all the tiny tedious stuff to put on!

Clint- lots of grease pins, and bearings, hydraulic hoses, wire rope, and exposed cylinders= bad idea to blast.

I would ideally like to have the frame blasted and painted, and the bed cleaned up and painted first.

But getting it on the truck and useful is priority #1.

Carc? ewwww.... 24087 semi gloss all the way buddy.

Last edited:

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'd bring bigger tools guys, or I'll give you all the tiny tedious stuff to put on!

Clint- lots of grease pins, and bearings, hydraulic hoses, wire rope, and exposed cylinders= bad idea to blast.

I would ideally like to have the frame blasted and painted, and the bed cleaned up and painted first.

But getting it on the truck and useful is priority #1.

Carc? ewwww.... 24087 semi gloss all the way buddy.
Get somebody to bring a dry ice blaster!

Problem solved

CARC > OD :D

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto > OCD :doghead:

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Who has a dry ice blaster? i could use it on my M109 box to remove the tar off the seams. :|:|
They're uncommon and expensive. Most States have at least 1 or 2 outfits doing it. You can try googling it.

AMGeneral

Well,I am gonna finally add my expierence to this thread as well,it's true I expected the bed to weigh about 12,200 to 12,400 lbs,and that would have been well within the rated load capacity of this particular trailer,which I purchased new in June of 2011 from Kaufman.

It is not a typical 14,000 lb GVW deckover,but a 17,000 lb GVW, this is based on transferring 3000 lbs to the towing vehicle itself,evidently the tires themselves are the weak link on this particular style of trailer.

The tires were 235/80R16 load range E trailer tires that have a 3520 lb maximum load rating at 80 psi cold,I did have all tires at the maximum cold pressure.

I have a correctly installed 30,000 lb rated hitch in my dually rated for a 10,000 lb vertical load,I definetly do my best to go above and beyond with my towing equipment.

The dually had about 158,000 miles on it when I decided to install a Edge EZ module,which increases the HP output by boosting the rail pressure to the injectors,evidently it surpassed the sealing capability of the injector O rings and started leaking fuel into the oil.

So,after it's all said and done,It's getting 6 new injectors @ $384 ea,plus a $1200 core charge,$3504 total.

I removed the power module as soon as I got home,no further problems.

Granted,yes we probably should have weighed it beforehand,and verified the exact weight of the wrecker bed.

I honestly do not believe the trailer or truck were beyond their carrying capacity,I believe the trailer tires themselves were at fault.

Last edited:

M715VFD405

I can see just from those pics that the tires are pancaked. If they were not low the load was to much, that puts pressure on the sidewalls of the tires being bowed out like that. The tire would have came apart much like it would if it had low pressure. Just my 2cents

Csm Davis

Well,I am gonna finally add my expierence to this thread as well,it's true I expected the bed to weigh about 12,200 to 12,400 lbs,and that would have been well within the rated load capacity of this particular trailer,which I purchased new in June of 2011 from Kaufman.

It is not a typical 14,000 lb GVW deckover,but a 17,000 lb GVW, this is based on transferring 3000 lbs to the towing vehicle itself,evidently the tires themselves are the weak link on this particular style of trailer.

The tires were 235/80R16 load range E trailer tires that have a 3520 lb maximum load rating at 80 psi cold,I did have all tires at the maximum cold pressure.

I have a correctly installed 30,000 lb rated hitch in my dually rated for a 10,000 lb vertical load,I definetly do my best to go above and beyond with my towing equipment.

The dually had about 158,000 miles on it when I decided to install a Edge EZ module,which increases the HP output by boosting the rail pressure to the injectors,evidently it surpassed the sealing capability of the injector O rings and started leaking fuel into the oil.

So,after it's all said and done,It's getting 6 new injectors @ $384 ea,plus a $1200 core charge,$3504 total.

I removed the power module as soon as I got home,no further problems.

Granted,yes we probably should have weighed it beforehand,and verified the exact weight of the wrecker bed.

I honestly do not believe the trailer or truck were beyond their carrying capacity,I believe the trailer tires themselves were at fault.
I don't know your trailer manufacturer but I have found on lots of trailers that if you don't watch real close they will put under rated axles and tires on a trailer I learned this the hard way myself, I have a 12,000 lbs rated trailer with two 3,500lbs axles duh! So go check and see what axles you have also, I bet they are underrated also. This is a hard way to find out but it could have been worse. I am not positive but don't know of a single wheeled axle over 7,000lbs. Also if your tires were rated at 14,080lbs you were over loaded from the beginning. I am just glad nobody got hurt other than their wallets, and let this show that when you are transporting anything it is better to bring a heavier trailer than needed and most things are heavier than you think.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tires were not that badly flexed. I've overloaded tires before around the yard and they were pancaked way worse than these were.

I got it back just fine and the tires stayed cool when they were new and not year old cheap as heck chinese crap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks