• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Knuckle Boots

BT3583

Hi all! It’s been a while since my last post but my Deuce and I are still here! Finally got her into the shop to start giving her some TLC. First project on the list is replacing the knuckle boots. I ended up getting the solid boots from big Mike’s. I’ve got everything taken apart she definitely needed service it’s been a long time since anyone’s looked inside those knuckles. While I’m at it I will be replacing my leaking axle seals. Once that project is done I will go around and service the rest of the hubs and brakes

on the truck and while I’m in there replace the rest of the axle seals. After that the next biggest jobs are replacing a leaking output seal on the transmission and replacing some seals on the transfer case.

I just wanted to check back in you guys have been very helpful especially when I first was thinking about getting the truck. Here are some pics of my current status.

Thanks Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Any ideas on how to get this baby off? It’s like it is pressed on.

Penetrating oil and time.

When you have it up on a stand with just this ONE WHEEL up in the air - a few love taps with a sledge on the tire - should shake it loose eventually. Bump it, lube it, bump it lube it. It is just a severe case of the creeping crud...

That square drive is a second "lug nut" so it should spin off of the wheel stud.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Any ideas on how to get this baby off? It’s like it is pressed on.
The capnuts are an expendable piece that should be renerwed as per the TM

Remove the capnuts, they have a R or a L on them so you assure you are turning them the correct way.

Attachments

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys! It’s funny I was trying to find it in the TM‘s, and I finally found it in the little operators manual that I guess was supposed to stay with the truck. Where does one find the tool to get them off?
You will need a 13/16" Budd socket. Might find one at Oreilleys, definitely at a parts store that caters to semi trucks
Edit: online they are listed at Home depot and Lowe's.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
You should have some tools

ken tool ps460_p24_25_5_ton_lug_nuts_sized.jpg

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks