• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Knuckleboom on a Deuce or 5 ton

b framer

I've been kicking around the idea of putting a knuckleboom crane on a duece or 5 ton truck. I don't know what one would work the best, so if anyone has done this before any information would be a big help.

CGarbee

I liked Bjorn's rig so much that I came very close two years ago to purchasing a truck out of Lejeune that had a comparable HIAB on it so that I could mount it on a M36 with a M35 dropside bed (figured that it would fit in the gap and that I would have the decent sized bed to haul stuff in along with multifuel capability...).
I've since fallen in love with the NHC250 powered trucks...and I have a M816 now (with a tag trailer) so the nuckleboom project never happened...

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I would opt for the 5-ton setup. The frame on a deuce would need to be beefed up to support that rig properly.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I would make the decision on deuce vs. 5 ton based on the boom you choose and where you decide to mount it. Mine weighs about 4000lbs and that is as much as I would be willing to mount right behind the cab (front axle loading is a concern with the deuce).

The deuce is nice because...

cheap trucks/parts available
easy to register/insure
no special license

The 5 ton is nice because...

can carry a lot more boom
power steering

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Personally, I would opt for the 5-ton setup. The frame on a deuce would need to be beefed up to support that rig properly.
It depends on the size of the boom. There are knucklebooms out there meant to be mounted on a 3/4 ton pickup (there are also booms that would overload a bridge truck)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Do yourself a favor, don't go with less than 25ft. My M62 has about 18ft of stick and I am always wanting more.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think how inadequate I feel, my hook only has 16' of stick. 24' more would be nice. Guess I should be thankful though, most folks don't have any.

WPNS421

We have a boom installed on the frame of a M36C. The truck does not have anything special for beefing up the frame, it is the same as the M35 frame. Our boom is mounted right behind the cab and we have two extensions the slide out from the second arm. On top of the boom we have a 5000lb hydraulic winch. This is great for lifting straight up and down. Also we have controls on both sides of the cab and the stabilizer legs are centre mounted on the truck and are great if you need to lift the front. The unit has the connections for a remote cable control.

Last edited: