• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

L.I.P.S. Fix-up Thread

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Howdy,

Got myself one of the L.I.P.S. (Lightweight Independent Power System) generators a few days ago. Seemed complete so I went to look at it with a battery & some fuel. Started up & made power so I made the buy.

The model on the tag is 30D36R.

Did a bit more testing of it today. Ran it at full load for ~20 minuets. Topped off oil. Replaced the 120 volt outlets. Found some rods for the battery hold down.

Ordered the filters I need for it. It wasn't running that smoothly so I would guess filters & fresh fuel will remedy that. No idea how old the diesel is in the tank!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try running some seafoam or StarTron through the next couple fuel tanks to help clean things up.
Other than that seems pretty decent.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Try running some seafoam or StarTron through the next couple fuel tanks to help clean things up.
Other than that seems pretty decent.
I added some PRI-D. Plan is to just drain the tank when I do the fuel filter & check to see how clean it is. Fill with fresh fuel, treat with PRI-D & SeaFoam, then run a whole tank at 100% load. Change the oil as well during this & use SeaFoam in the crank case. After all that, it should clean right out!

Reactions: rtk

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Got to use it for a few hours with the power issues here in Texas.

This thing doesn't like the below freezing temperatures! The battery I put on it is much smaller than what is recommended & will be okay 95% of the time where I am.

Warmed it up a bit & it fired up. Gave it a few minuets then plugged in the heaters.

Loud, but works good. May make a way to plug it directly into my well & booster pumps if needed in the future. Should power one at a time.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I used it this past weekend out at my off-grid place for a few hours. Mild this time of year so no need for 24/7 power.

It will start my A/C units fine & run my kitchen setup. Will also run my heat on the low setting. Not all at once but it does the job!

Will be a good backup for going out there as well if I can't tow the MEP 802A out there.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I have ~34 hours on it now.

With the tank completely full, I got 9 hours of run time on my off grid cabin. Still had fuel in it but I packed up.

Not bad! This is going to be left out there as my backup power, My MEP-802A went down & was very happy I left it there last trip.

It wasn't running as smooth as I would like. Thinking it's in need of a valve adjustment.

Also needs a new bonnet gasket. Seeps the tiniest but of oil. Gotta find that part number.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I guess I never posted when I did it.

I ended up finding a bonnet gasket that I thought was the right part number but needed to be modified a bit. Checked the valves and they were good. Gasket changed stopped the seep of oil though.

I added a bar across the top with a hole to put a D-ring in for easy lifting with my tractor or bed crane. Pained CARC match green.

279805495_1147747942729342_2388134080269005972_n.jpg

45 hours now. Only used 3 gallons over that 11 hours of use since last time.

This thing sat out in the open sun at my cabin for almost 6 months and started first pull. This is why I love diesel equipment!

It was still running poorly at times and I think I figured out why.... I had hooked up the 12v charger to the battery and I guess it is not regulated so it blew my battery up! After the battery blew, it ran smooth as could be. It was struggling to push the 12 volts into the battery I'd guess. I should have known better on this. I will get a small charge controller to put on this to keep this from happening again, though, I really don't even need the battery as the pull start is smooth.

279763939_780304886246855_4733652607363502371_n.jpg

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I could have sworn I came back to update since the last post....

I ended up adding a 12v Solergizer just to keep the new battery I put on happy after blowing up the other one!

371069164_685155786381273_4921279416583957183_n.jpg

It was out at my cabin for another year! Didn't use it much, but got almost up to 60 hours on it.

Brought it back home for a full service and clean-up. Used some of the stenciled I got for other equipment & put it on this little unit to make it look better.

371093544_998208744635180_2717868597589694004_n.jpg

While it was at my house, a friend showed some interest in it that has been getting into military surplus equipment.

Ended up working a trade for some other small diesel generators that had not been going through yet & it's off to a new home!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks