• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lady Liberty B-17

Green_gator

I go see them fly every time they are in my area. I went with my son this past September to the "Gathering of Mustangs and Legends" at Rickenbacker Field in Columbus, Ohio. They had about100 Mustangs there along with B 17s, B 25s, a Lancaster and a whole host of other fighters and MVs. They had a number of famous and not so famous fighter pilots there talking and signing autographs. I have photo's of my son with a number of them and am still amazed at how humble these men are. Not like the athletes of today who want $25 bucks for an autograph even though they make millions to play a game. Go see them and support them every chance you get because one day they may no longer fly. Here are a couple of quick photos including ones of my son in the cockpit of a P 51 and the boom operator station of a KC-135.

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

Great pics but change your description on the Lanc............................One of 2 FLYABLE Lancasters left in the world. There are others out there that are proudly on display in museums. Some are even in running condition and once in a while they will take them out and warm them up.

CdnH1

Great photos, green gator, thanks for sharing them.

NB1944 wow I had no idea the He111 crashed and is no longer. Very sad to hear that. When the B-17 and He111 were both up here for our airshow it was my job to look after the crews. They were all fantastic men and women. Some were even vets from WWII. I was given an opportunity to fly in the B-17 to it's next airshow but sadly had to turn it down as I had to work the next day (something I have regretted ever since).

When B-17 Texas Raiders was here there was a gentleman in the crew that actually flew them in the war. He would'nt say too much about those days, but I remember that he was very upset about the movie Memphis Belle. He said that was typical Hollywood B.S. and that obviously the real experience was nothing like the movie portrayed.

All the crews of the warbirds we had at our airshow were first class and it's because of those brave men and women that we enjoy our freedom we have today. God bless them and all of the service men and women past and present.

NB1944

CdnH1
I belonged to a living history group that was invited to the premier of the Mephis Belle. They had contacted us months before for advice and to sell them items which they were missing for the movie. We were terribly disappointed - typical Hollywood BS - I hate it when the distort the truth for the sake of the plot! AFter the premier, we did a Q&A with the audience. They were rather surprised when we told them we didn't like the movie. They had the opportunitiy to make a really good movie and they blew it! I guess that's why some win the Oscar and others don't!

One of the guys in our MV group was in a B-17 and was shot down. He was a POW for almost 18 months. He doesn't talk about it much, but every now and again he will open up and share some of his experiences. He's a great guy. He's slowed down a bit, but he did show up for our Memorial Day parade last year wearing his MP uniform and riding his HD WLA. He looked great, too!

I liked the photos of the kid in the cockpit and in the KC-135. Sadly, our younger generation has neither the interest or the patience for our hobby and we are having a hard time attracting younger, 'new guys' to our group. Other clubs that I keep in touch with are having the same problems. Thanks for 'keeping the faith!' We all need to do more of this.

ptg530C

I flew in one of these back in 2001. The best $300.00 I ever spent.

Attachments

Srjeeper

If you want to see these and more then come to "WWII weekend" at the Reading, Pa. airport.

June 6th, 7th, 8th, 2008

There's planes, from all over and a whole lot more..Google WWII Weekend.. and see what all's going to be there.

You can even buy your tickets online and save some $'s.

NB1944

I've been to WWII weekend several times... I highly recommend it to anyone. We are trying to organize something similar to that here in Colorado (we have a lot more real estate that they do back east, but it's difficult to attract the numbers we need to make this successful - the distances are much greater and there doesn't seem to be anything 'close' to us). We will attend a bid radial engine show (B-17s will be there) in Akron, CO in early sept. 2008. We will participate in a big airshow in Sept. (a little later in the month). Looking forward to it. Anyone who want to come is welcome.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old pics!

Back in 97 while on a cycle trip I stopped at a small airfield in Beaver Falls, PA. They were having an air show with many interesting planes. I ventured to one of the hangars that had a partially opened door and stumbled upon this beauty! It was there having some repairs done.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks