• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lakeway Texas July 4th parade

Pawnshop

Formup was at 0730 and parade start was at 0830, the weather was beautiful and I think the whole town turned out, WITH their children and grandchildren! Lonestar-MVPA was able to muster nine MVs for the event, 2 decked out MBs, a M38A1, two M37s, a M35A2 W/W, M813rc's 5 ton and Sarge's Gamma Goat, with lots of decked out vets and flag waving family to ride along. There was also an unaffiliated M37 in the mix that apparently belonged to a resident. I had never seen a Gamma Goat in person so that added to the fun for me! Between not having a SF-97 yet and my lack of piloting experience, my M35A2 W/oW stayed home (NEXT YEAR) so I rode in the 5 ton, and it was likely a good thing, those streets are tight enough when clear and even tighter with kids scrambling for candy!

For those who don't know what/where Lakeway is, it's a golf course community on the south shore of lake Travis, N/W of Austin.

There were lots of waves, lots of thumbs up, but the best part for me was the salutes from the vets in the crowd. Some of the older vets can barely walk but they can still deliver a salute just the way their DI taught them! The kids were also amazing, they would wave and cheer to the smaller units in front of us but when they gazed up at Rory's 5 ton they usualy just stood there in stunned amazement, their little mouths hanging open taking in the sheer awesomeness of the sight and SOUND of such a massive vehicle, I imagine for many of them that was the first time they have been that close to something so large, most forgot to wave:) I hope good impressions were made and one day some of those kids will grow up to be in the military themselves.

Sam R.

Attachments