• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lam Son 719--Living & Transporting

Hey Driver, you posted pics of the tire repair. My first job when I got to the 64th in July, 69 was changing flats at night for the 3rd platoon. First thing I was told was take care of the guntrucks first. The 3rd Plt had the Highland Animals and Mighty Minny. In case of an alert at night, I was to drive one of them to the co. area. Imagine, in country 2 weeks and already driving a guntruck, even if it was only a quarter mile! Learned to love them real quick.
Richard Cornell

vtdeucedriver

Hey Driver, you posted pics of the tire repair. My first job when I got to the 64th in July, 69 was changing flats at night for the 3rd platoon. First thing I was told was take care of the guntrucks first. The 3rd Plt had the Highland Animals and Mighty Minny. In case of an alert at night, I was to drive one of them to the co. area. Imagine, in country 2 weeks and already driving a guntruck, even if it was only a quarter mile! Learned to love them real quick.
Richard Cornell
Hey richard, Welcome to the SS site!!!!! You never told me at PF that you worked the tire shop................I got a 64th tractor up here that needs 2 tires changed, want to help??????roflJeff in vt

Hey Jeff, that tire shop deal wasn't one of my favorite memories. At least we had locals repair the flats, all we had to do was swap them on the trucks. I got my tail chewed out by Gary Best (KIA) the driver of the Minny at the time because I didn't know I had two guntrucks to tend to, and left her with a flat overnight. They came in with two flats the next night.
If those two tires you need replaced are mounted up and ready to go, I'll be glad to help. Be there as quick as I can make it. May be a while though. If I don't make it in time, go ahead without me. ;-)

vtdeucedriver

Hey Jeff, that tire shop deal wasn't one of my favorite memories. At least we had locals repair the flats, all we had to do was swap them on the trucks. I got my tail chewed out by Gary Best (KIA) the driver of the Minny at the time because I didn't know I had two guntrucks to tend to, and left her with a flat overnight. They came in with two flats the next night.
If those two tires you need replaced are mounted up and ready to go, I'll be glad to help. Be there as quick as I can make it. May be a while though. If I don't make it in time, go ahead without me. ;-)

yea they are all mounted up and ready to go. I dont bust my butt breaking tires down. I have a peneumatic bead breaker for aircraft tires. I can bust a tire down in 5 min!! hehe.

Driver523

Thanks Ug and Thanks to everyone for the kind comments and PMs, I kinda hate to be at an end of this theres just so much to it---I won't say I wish I had been there cause I'm not into self abuse but I do wish I knew more about it so I could let those that wern't know what it was like for these guys, I left the 523rd two weeks early because of their move north and have always kinda felt like I shouldn't have, I think its a bit of survivors guilt but thats just the way it was, I knew when I left they were moving but had no idea what they were gonna go through, I'll continue to try and learn more about Lam Son 719 our Operation Dewey Canyon and I'll post as I get things, but right now I have to get back to work on the Gathering, some of these guys you have read about will be there along with some of those armored Steel Soliders they rode---I'll be around and really guys---THANK YOU-------------------------------------------Driver

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Driver/Larry...I want to thank you for filling in some gaps. Especially concerning Proud American. We are all over...er...30ish and may be having some memory slipups...even the guys that crewed her. The Columbus Crew is in the process of rebuilding the Proud on a period correct M54 platform and will use some of your story to tell hers. LT Fuller, and Calvin have vowed to help us.
As the LT--"Uglyranger" said...thank you is not enough...just all we have.
Written in the dust on the door of the destroyed Proud American were the words:
IT DON'T MEAN NOTHING.
I'm here to tell you brother..it means alot and will not be forgotten.
Thank you for what you have done here. It means something!! Forever!
The other Larry

Driver523

Thanks Larry, You guys are keeping the history alive and we Thank you for that and everything else you all do, If there's anything I can help with on this end please don't hesitate to let me know--measurements, paint, tranny---I got all the info here somewhere from Sammy--------Like Ted posted above I was invited over to meet with him and see his collection of MVs and "stuff"---man it was neat to wander around looking at everything, some of the gang was there and got to meet them also, great bunch of guys--it won't be my last trip to Teds---maybe I can even get some "wrenchin in?--ya think?----------Thanks For the invite and great time-----Driver

Red523rd

Driver,
Words can't express the THANKS you deserve for this,,
So I DITO,,,LT & PAPABEAR..
ALL I CAN ADD IS,,
"JOB WELL DONE FRIEND"!!

"RED"
NCIOC Satans LiL Angel
DESTROYED 2/20/71
XD 980-517
During LAMSON 719
523rd Trans. Co.
Vietnam

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a read. I wonder how many of the MV's we buy have seen action? I was checking the pictures, looking for M814's, but all I saw was Deuces and regular bed 5 tons

Red523rd

Now for this action,
July 23rd 2012 at Ft Lee ,
The 523rd TC will be inducted into the TC Hall of Fame,
The ceremoney will have a few of us there to accept the award,
This is the first Vietnam Unit Inducted,
What an Honor,
"RED"

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Now for this action,
July 23rd 2012 at Ft Lee ,
The 523rd TC will be inducted into the TC Hall of Fame,
The ceremoney will have a few of us there to accept the award,
This is the first Vietnam Unit Inducted,
What an Honor,
"RED"
Red, I was tinkering with the idea of taking Proud American up there to display for the ceremony and finding a place to leave her til the Gathering.
That's not gonna work out for about 10 reasons though.:(

CAMO plans on a "work day" out at the LT's AO this Saturday to help his wife keep things up to snuff. We do that once a month to help her and the youngest son with the "heavy lifting" stuff that LT used to take care of.

I hope you and the other guys can hang out and stay for the Gathering!

Congratulations 523rd TC folks!! It's been a long time coming for this honor and you guys sure deserve it!:beer:

Attachments

Last edited:

Red523rd

Thanks Larry for helping Karen,
May y'all be blessed for the rest of y'all life for the consideration,
If I was close,,,,I would be doing the same.....
"RED"

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Thanks Larry for helping Karen,
May y'all be blessed for the rest of y'all life for the consideration,
If I was close,,,,I would be doing the same.....
"RED"
We have already been blessed Red...we had some years with the "LT" that can't be taken away.
Thru him, we met and became friends with you and many other Guntruckers and he supervised the build of Proud American tribute truck.:beer:

Last edited:

GypsyBandit_mangus

The Move---The 57th trans was already in the area Da Nang, Phu Bi area--and the 572nd (Gypsy Bandits) was on their way up north from Long Binh, they had no gun trucks so they barrowed Highland Animals from the 541st and Set Me Free a APC truck from the 563rd, its been writtin by Rich that they got their name from the MPs finding nine jeeps they weren't supposed to have after their move----------Driver
I will second that.. I was There.. they only Found 9 vehicles? Ha haa ah.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks