• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lam Son 719--Living & Transporting

rickf

Red, thanks for bumping this up since I had never seen it. Very nice work Driver. Uglyranger and I had talked many times on other forums about 151's and also the guntrucks.

Rick

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a great story and pictures , thank you for sharing , a million untold stories , we MUST never forget those that come before us .

Red523rd

Now for this action,
July 23rd 2012 at Ft Lee ,
The 523rd TC will be inducted into the TC Hall of Fame,
The ceremoney will have a few of us there to accept the award,
This is the first Vietnam Unit Inducted,
What an Honor,
"RED"
Here are the documents I received,,,,,,,

Citation.jpgCertificate.jpg

These are for all 523rd people that were in Lamson 719,
Papabear, you need these for display on Proud Amercian...
"RED"

jatonka

Hi jacking thread here, has anyone heard of a deuce guntruck named Thunder Road? It came into Aberdeen today, 105mm mortar in rear, .50 cal. on top front of Gunbox, and another gun in cab. New owner said it was built 10 years or more ago, sat in a barn for 20 yrs, barn fell down, this man bought it and brought it to Aberdeen today. John T

vtdeucedriver

Hi jacking thread here, has anyone heard of a deuce guntruck named Thunder Road? It came into Aberdeen today, 105mm mortar in rear, .50 cal. on top front of Gunbox, and another gun in cab. New owner said it was built 10 years or more ago, sat in a barn for 20 yrs, barn fell down, this man bought it and brought it to Aberdeen today. John T
There was a thread on here about it. It was recently for sale on Ebay.

SLOrazorsedge

Any of you gun truckers serve with a troop by the last name of Fox, blonde haired med size guy. We were MOS 64C30 truck drivers diverted to Ft Wainwright, AK during the 71 Feb "de escalation". Ft Wainwright had the highest 1049 voluntary transfer to Viet Nam in the Army. The last I heard from Fox was he was on a gun truck running convoys. His truck had a quad 60 set up. After a couple letters I never heard from Fox again.

Thank you for your service, you guys were in the **** for all of us. Many were sent over OJT right out of basic training. All while the government began drawing down troop deployment.....

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

Any of you gun truckers serve with a troop by the last name of Fox, blonde haired med size guy. We were MOS 64C30 truck drivers diverted to Ft Wainwright, AK during the 71 Feb "de escalation". Ft Wainwright had the highest 1049 voluntary transfer to Viet Nam in the Army. The last I heard from Fox was he was on a gun truck running convoys. His truck had a quad 60 set up. After a couple letters I never heard from Fox again.

Thank you for your service, you guys were in the **** for all of us. Many were sent over OJT right out of basic training. All while the government began drawing down troop deployment.....
Send me a PM and I will put you in touch with a couple people that might be able to help you with some more info. A big help would be what area did he run? If he was trans company, only a few actual Gun Trucks had the quad mount. Most of the others were attached to Arty units.

lamson719

A bump for a very outstanding thread about history....In my 2 tours in VN I was with 34th Group and then 1st Aviation Brigade...I was a Huey helicopter mechanic and took part in Lam Son 719...I have a tattoo on my left arm of Lam Son 719 as I have many memories of it....The amount of damage that was sustained by helicopters alone was massive...Every day the sky was filled with sky cranes and other helicopters bringing back pieces of helicopters shot down and severely damaged.....While reading about Lam Son 719 one cannot get a true picture of the carnage that occurred...

lamson719

The 363rd "Road Runners" left Da Nang and moved north to Red Beach, Camp Haskins--They had three gun trucks--The Colonel, Pallbearers, and Canned Heat--The Colonel had problems running at speed up the pass and with maintence, being a APC truck it was terrible heavy, they soon built another gun truck named Mercenary, shortly thereafter the 363rd went back to its regular mission of supporting the Americal Div.-----Driver
I was at Red Beach Camp Viking 70,71,72...While on guard duty I had seen CANNED HEAT and another that I cannot remember the name of several times...The CANNED HEAT truck that I seen had white lettering and was painted CANNED HEAT from front to rear and not the words CANNED on top of HEAT...They would drive north or south on highway one just south of the Hai Van Pass...I would hate to get the WHOOP ASS from them...

Red523rd

45 yrs ago today,,,, 12Mar1971
Proud Amercian Guntruck Destroyed
Robert Walter Thorne ..... The Driver was KIA ,, Gone But Never Forgotten ,,,, as long as I have breath ...
he was my driver on Satans LiL Angel when it was Destroyed 20Feb1971 ,,,a great friend ...
Lt Jim Baird ..... The convoy commander (CC) lost his left arm ,,,, WIA ,,,, He is currently State Rep. Of Indiana,,
FTTE ...... Friends Till The End ..... FYI...

RED

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Robert Walter Thorne ..... The Driver was KIA ,, Gone But Never Forgotten ,,,, as long as I have breath ...
he was my driver on Satans LiL Angel when it was Destroyed 20Feb1971 ,,,a great friend ...
Lt Jim Baird ..... The convoy commander (CC) lost his left arm ,,,, WIA ,,,, He is currently State Rep. Of Indiana,,

RED
I meant to make a post about it this morning Red but got in a rush to get to Chattanooga for a meeting and got back about an hour ago.

I talked to LT Baird Wednesday about getting a feller from Kentucky to the Gathering this year and I need to call him tomorrow.

God Bless you Brother and I hope you are back "high steppin" soon.

Attachments

Red523rd

I called that fellar from Kentucky at day break ,
he had been in the hospital again last week,

visited with Baird on Facebook also....

Thanks For All You Do Sir.
FTTE
Red

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

RED
Now would be a good time to tell the story of the DRIVER of the Proud American and how the "DRIVER" Robert Walter Thorne in his last dieing breath saved the rest of the Prouds crew by turning into the bank instead of the other direction which would have put the truck over the edge, causing it to roll down the hill, killing everybody in the box.

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN, he was a DRIVER to the end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks