• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Large Flatbed MV trailer....

rmgill

I guess the HEMMT's steering helps that what with 4 wheels up front for steering and a not so bad turning radius eh?

rmgill

Oh, now you want to sell one. Now that I've spent $2500 on my civilian trailer. pppbbt

I'd like one of those. Really I would.

CGarbee

Yeah, and I have had a tag on my website page ever since I got back from the Aberdeen MV show in May saying that it was for sale, but I never got around to putting it on this site's classifieds. (are the classifieds working again??)
Sad thing is, I would have sold it to you for less than what you put into that civilian trailer (not much less, but less...).
It's good, it's usefull, it's taking up a bunch of room in the yard when it is not being used, and I have to redo another bathroom in the house (dang PO didn't know squat about how to instal a water closet...).

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
CGarbee said:
Not to hijack a thread... But if anyone is interested in the flatbed linked to in the first post of this thread, I've got one that is similar enough that it might be intersting, and I have a title for mine with no EUC required...
Photos are located at:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos44.htm
Couple of questions...

how feasible do you think it would be to add ramps to that trailer?

are those fenders strong enough to drive over?

rmgill

If I understand right, that's an engineering trailer so it should handle some pretty heavy objects. I'd doubt if those fenders would have a problem with anything up to a few tons on them. Given how they're gusseted on both sides, I should think they'd do fine.

Adding ramps, weld on some hinge brackets and you're good. Though, were it my trailer I'm not sure if I'd want to add ramps or not. Removable units would be nice. I keep wanting a military trailer with a WWII look like this for my WWII mv transport.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
there was one of those at aberdeen, i bet it would be a REAL pita to back up, with that front steering dolly, i can see the 819 backing that thing up, would end up running over it before i got it where i wanted it

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
for very occasional use how would that trailer do with 5 tons on it? (most of the time it would see much less)

CGarbee

rmgill said:
If I understand right, that's an engineering trailer so it should handle some pretty heavy objects. I'd doubt if those fenders would have a problem with anything up to a few tons on them. Given how they're gusseted on both sides, I should think they'd do fine.

Adding ramps, weld on some hinge brackets and you're good. Though, were it my trailer I'm not sure if I'd want to add ramps or not. Removable units would be nice. I keep wanting a military trailer with a WWII look like this for my WWII mv transport.
There are some ramps at a military surplus yard nearby that I have my eye on that look like they are made for this trailer... I figure that all it would take would be a piece of heavy wall tubing slipped into the holes on the lugs already welded to the end of the trailer to secure them (holes in the ramp end tangs are the same diameter as those on the trailer's lugs). That way, they could be flipped up and down or removed as needed as long as the tubing was secured with threaded end caps or pins to prevent it from walking out.
The trailer has had some very heavy loads drive over those fenders so far without any problems. I forget how thick the steel plate that the fenders are made from, but they are stout...

I will post the dataplate info off the trailer tonight when I get home.

CGarbee

There are some ramps at a military surplus yard nearby that I have my eye on that look like they are made for this trailer... I figure that all it would take would be a piece of heavy wall tubing slipped into the holes on the lugs already welded to the end of the trailer to secure them (holes in the ramp end tangs are the same diameter as those on the trailer's lugs). That way, they could be flipped up and down or removed as needed as long as the tubing was secured with threaded end caps or pins to prevent it from walking out.
The trailer has had some very heavy loads drive over those fenders so far without any problems. I forget how thick the steel plate that the fenders are made from, but they are stout...

I will post the dataplate info off the trailer tonight when I get home.

rmgill

73m819 said:
there was one of those at aberdeen, i bet it would be a REAL pita to back up, with that front steering dolly, i can see the 819 backing that thing up, would end up running over it before i got it where i wanted it
Its not the sort of thing you back up. I did pretty well with the maiden voyage on the Deuce with the trailer not having to back up. It'll usually be pulling into places where we've got enough room to unload full sized rigs with tanks so, a bren carrier or something is easy. The advantage would be that ANYTHING military and of the right size can tow that trailer and drop it no problem since the towbar is pull/steer and doesn't hold any weight. If I really needed to back up, I'd use a front hitch and spot it that way.

From the standpoint of looking good at a show, I'd prefer a Truck/Trailer combo that's as vintage as what I'm carrying to the show. It's not realistic for long distances (Atlanta to Reading PA) but regional runs from say Northern Virginia to Reading or FIG would be worth it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I need to be able to move this around
Including the concrete blocks?

CGarbee

Re: Garbee??

citizensoldier said:
Well is that flatbed trailer still for sale? If so how much for it? That is just what I have been looking for to pull my M37 behind my M109 van truck. It looks plenty strong and I could build ramps very easy. Give me a shout at 1cu812@charter.net Please let me know either way.
It is for sale until somebody sends me some money.. :)
$ 2200 and it can be yours... This is what I have in it...

Dataplate info:
Flatbed Cargo 5 Ton, 4 Wheel
NSN 2330-01-226-0709
Engineered Air Systems, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

SN TR-100
MFG Model Number TR-100

Bed is 225.63" long
Bed is 95" wide
Bed is 32" high (top of deck from pavement surface).

Capacities:
Empty
5400 lbs on wheels
600 lbs on lunette

Cross Country
11000 lbs Payload
15500 lbs on wheels
1500 lbs on lunette
17000 lbs total

Highway
11000 lbs Payload
15500 lbs on wheels
1500 lbs on lunette
17000 lbs total

Note: The dataplate has the same ratings for Cross Country as it does for Highway. Not sure why this it so as every other Military trailer I have seen has a higher Highway rating than for Cross Country. I have had a mid-fiftees CAT D4 on it without problems, but the trip was a slow one on gravel and pavement...

I orginally purchased this trailer for hauling my M37 behind my M35A2C, and it does that well although it is slow going up hills... Since I have multiple friends who will drive my M35 if I need both trucks in the same location, I figure that I can sell this trailer and just convoy if I need both in one spot...

CGarbee

Re: RE: Re: Garbee??

rmgill said:
Actually, I don't think trailers double weight capacity on road.
They actually more then double for the M104 and M101 trailers and have a similar increase for the 1/4 and 1/2 ton trailers that I have in the back yard...

I would think that the same differences in dynamic loading would apply for a trailer as for a truck and would affect the load ratings in a similar manner,, but I will admit that I am not a mechanical engineer, nor do I have vehicle design credentials... I'm just reading the dataplates. I also am not personally familiar with any trailer larger than the ones I have in the yard...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks