• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LARGEST M1009 Fuel tank available

edpdx

Looking to carry more fuel into the great unknown. What options are there? I looked at the tanks on JC Whitney; but it seems that all they have is a 31 Galon tank- it's only $200; but I don't know if its worth the effort for such a small gain. I'd rather make more room for a extra 5 gallon can or two.

Q1: Who has the largest aux or replacement tank?

Q2: How are you guys hauling extra fuel? What configuration (where placed in the vehicle) and did you make a nifty mods to secure said fuel?

Tanks a lot :grin:,

Ed

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Explain "such a small gain?" I believe you're equipped with a 20 gal tank... or is it 16?

motorolanut

10 to 15 years ago Blazers and Bronco's had 42 to 50 gallon aftermarket tanks advertised in that catalog...I think thats what the poster was referring to in a LARGER size...LOL tank..[thumbzup]

PorscheTech911

Another option we used when setting up Porsche race cars is to find a racing/hotrod shop and have them custom make one for you. Its not to much more expensive and you can get exactly what you want in the dimensions you need and you can put it anywhere you want.

1986Blazerk5

I have also seen some custom ones on ebay that go in the rear wheel well made out of steel, i have no idea how they install, or if they fit.

edpdx

Dave Kay, yep 1986Blazerk5 is reiterating what I was referring to. The current tank is supposed to be 27 gallons; yet I ran it uncomfortably low and only got 21 gallons in to fill it up :?. The 31 gallon tank "upgrade" is not really worth the effort- a 5 gallon Jerry would give me more bang for the buck.

I have a steel tank I got from the yard that was fabbed-up to ride behind the drivers wheel well; but I think the tank is too long to go in the blazer.

If no one has heard of a larger OTS tank; there probably is not one to be had... that is considerably larger than 27 Gallons.

Any other ideas? How do y'all carry extra diesel along? Anyone make up a better rack for fuel cans?

I was thinking I might try to fab another rack to match the driver-side Jerry hump over the filler neck on the other side. Then add a rack and tie down similar to the Jerry can system and add two cans on either side. Any take on this?

Ed

Last edited:

Oldsouthernboy

Some time these old M1009 fuel tanks even with the skid plate are badly dented reducing fuel on board.. I am looking at replacing a tank for that reason. The whole skid plate is pancaked into the tank, if you did not look close you would nottell it was compresed.

OL AG '89

How much total distance are you planning to go without refueling?

I've used the rule of thumb for my offshore boats.....
1/3 out, 1/3 play, 1/3 home..... never consider reserve capacity.
If you do the same with the CUCV that leaves you about 140 miles in to the "outback", 140 miles to play around with and 140 miles back out... at 17 mpg using 24 gallons...... If you add a couple of 5 gallons can you can look at another 170 miles....... without ever seeing (needing) a fuel point. I think you would run out of food, beer, toilet paper, before you run out of fuel....
I have also seen the "bladder" that you put in rear area... but I'm afraid of poking hole and then leaving a trail of diesel......

OL AG '89

What about a 40 gal Suburban tank?

I would love a larger tank, just to have to fill up less on my daily commutes.

How FAR y'all driving on a DAILY basis that you need 30+ gals of fuel??????

I carry 84 gals total, not including an extra 55 gal xfer tank (for tractor) in my GMC 3500.... I can go for two weeks...... without considering fueling up. I'm at 15 - 16 mpg in the GMC....

What kind of fuel mileage are y'all getting in a daily driver.....
I have average about 17MPG around town.... haven't ventured out to far yet...

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
87 - 91 Suburban DIESEL 40 GAL tank at LMC Truck for $140 plus S&H.

You WILL need extended bolts for the straps and extended bolts for the skid plate to mount up.

IT IS deeper. But it does fit between the rails. At least from ones I've had the measurements were the same.

Someone here HAS posted the specs. But I think they attempted to compare the rear of an M1008 vs the Sub, not sure about the M1009 between the rails measurements vs the Sub. Unless I'm mistaken (not the first time BTW), the DIESEL Suburban 40 gallon tank IS supposed to fit. Your milage MAY vary.

LMC Truck Parts - Page 133

edpdx

Olag '89, The distance from the "last Gas" to the nearest border of the Unit I have drawn a tag for is 2 hours drive. This would go with the 1/3 of fuel load each way, leaving a 1/3 left for play time. If I take along 4 5 gallon cans, I guess I can head back when I get through the 1st spare. Then use the other 3 to get back.

I was just hoping there was a larger tank I could swap in for a bigger edge.

any ideas on how to haul 4 five gallon cans? Which ones do you guys prefer?

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave Kay, yep 1986Blazerk5 is reiterating what I was referring to. The current tank is supposed to be 27 gallons; yet I ran it uncomfortably low and only got 21 gallons in to fill it up :?. The 31 gallon tank "upgrade" is not really worth the effort- a 5 gallon Jerry would give me more bang for the buck.

I have a steel tank I got from the yard that was fabbed-up to ride behind the drivers wheel well; but I think the tank is too long to go in the blazer.

If no one has heard of a larger OTS tank; there probably is not one to be had... that is considerably larger than 27 Gallons.

Any other ideas? How do y'all carry extra diesel along? Anyone make up a better rack for fuel cans?

I was thinking I might try to fab another rack to match the driver-side Jerry hump over the filler neck on the other side. Then add a rack and tie down similar to the Jerry can system and add two cans on either side. Any take on this?

Ed
Ok, I'm with ya' about that stock tank size and I myself have the need (or greed) for the ability to carry more fuel for long outtings.

But have you thought of doing a dual tank set-up; like two 27 gal's? I've R&R'ed a few tanks before and it always seemed to me that it couldn't be THAT difficult to plumb another tank & maybe switches into the system... or are those some of them "Famous Last Words?"

four_by_ken

How FAR y'all driving on a DAILY basis that you need 30+ gals of fuel??????

I carry 84 gals total, not including an extra 55 gal xfer tank (for tractor) in my GMC 3500.... I can go for two weeks...... without considering fueling up. I'm at 15 - 16 mpg in the GMC....

What kind of fuel mileage are y'all getting in a daily driver.....
I have average about 17MPG around town.... haven't ventured out to far yet...
For me its not distance on a single trip. I daily drive my '09. 70 miles a day. The less I need to stop at the gas station, the happier I am.

Meen Green

I think there is a recent thread on this very subject. According to the thread the problem with the 40gal burb tank is the lenght. It is too long to fit between the cross members. But don't take my word for it that is just what i remember reading i did no research on it, other than looking at LMC dimensions for the tanks

31 gal diesel blazer 28-3/4 x 28-1/8 x 12-3/4

40 gal diesel burb 35 x 28-3/4 x 13-1/8

I would also like to install one in my M1009 if it would fit, i could easily go 2weeks without re-fueling, for my weekly commute into town.

dirtballgear

Will a 40 work

Has as anyone determined if the 40 will work it is number tnkgm25b

I think there is a recent thread on this very subject. According to the thread the problem with the 40gal burb tank is the lenght. It is too long to fit between the cross members. But don't take my word for it that is just what i remember reading i did no research on it, other than looking at LMC dimensions for the tanks

31 gal diesel blazer 28-3/4 x 28-1/8 x 12-3/4

40 gal diesel burb 35 x 28-3/4 x 13-1/8

I would also like to install one in my M1009 if it would fit, i could easily go 2weeks without re-fueling, for my weekly commute into town.