• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Las Vegas area get together!

Unforgiven

Here's an idea to toss about. If the Las Vegas get together shifts a little ot the West, and the spring Camp Dirtbag shifts a little to the East, we could have one big get together together. Probably having the event in Nevada would be best.

One drawback, potential long drives for both groups.

The Cima Domes (where Jim Morrison did LSD & saw Native American spirit guides) & Death Valley fit that bill.

Death Valley would be cool. It goes from flat, below-sea-level dry desert to Sierra Nevada elevation mountains. Tons of 4x4 trails. Down side, it's National Park Service which means permits up the south end & no firearms or booze without the Feds giving you a proctology exam.

If it's just a get-together the dry lake SE of Vegas would be best. It's BLM & not uncommon for Jamborees for various group. BLM is usually easy to work with if you get the proper okays & don't mistreat the environment.

If serious 6x6 trails are needed then Pahrump or more northerly like Mesquite/Gold Butte would be better. Gold Butte is a protected zone. But it's a great area if you obey the rules & don't act like a Richard.

As tempting as it might be, I'd avoid Lake Mead & North Shore Road. Sure, there are great 4x4 trails there. But it's all National Park Service & the rangers, how should I put it, resemble male anatomical features. Booze & especially guns would be a no-no. Cliff diving is fun. But the constant Big Brother feeling from the rangers ruins the experience.

Also, FYI, most universities/schools take Spring Break the second week of March. The semester usually ends at the very beginning of May.

A very early May date might allow some of the younger members to join if they are in college. Mid-March is a little cold. April is nice, as is May. June-August forget it.

PM me if you have further questions. I've been in Vegas for 30 years & know every inch of the surrounding mountains for a hundred mile radius.

jumpinford

You might consider camping on wheeler pass. Goin in from the Pahrump side is accessible by anything from a big deuce to a guy on roller skates. There are a ton of side roads to explore, and the adventurous crowd could drive over the hill and into the cold creek area which at times is a pretty gnarly trail. There are some great places to camp just north of the wheeler well that offer plenty of shade. I spent a lot of time there as a kid, its one of my favorite hangouts. If you do go over to the cold creek side there is camping at Willow creek, but expect more traffic on that side.

If you need more info on the area, feel free to PM me. Im not close anymore, but I was born and raised in Vegas, my family owned property in Cold Creek, and I've been all over every inch of road there on my old yamaha ATV, never mind the cars and trucks I've owned over the years :)

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We would still do a trail ride down the strip though, right?

Unforgiven

You might consider camping on wheeler pass. Goin in from the Pahrump side is accessible by anything from a big deuce to a guy on roller skates. There are a ton of side roads to explore, and the adventurous crowd could drive over the hill and into the cold creek area which at times is a pretty gnarly trail. There are some great places to camp just north of the wheeler well that offer plenty of shade. I spent a lot of time there as a kid, its one of my favorite hangouts. If you do go over to the cold creek side there is camping at Willow creek, but expect more traffic on that side.

If you need more info on the area, feel free to PM me. Im not close anymore, but I was born and raised in Vegas, my family owned property in Cold Creek, and I've been all over every inch of road there on my old yamaha ATV, never mind the cars and trucks I've owned over the years :)
That's a great trail. The only problem is when does the snow melt on it? Also, lots of 4x4 Jeeps & Toyotas run that trail the opposite way. Somebody's got to give, and I doubt that's going to be a convoy of Deuces.

jumpinford

That kinda depends on the weather, but I've seen it gone by early march, mid march usually. I know there can be the occasional jeeper goin over, but honestly I never saw a lot of traffic on that road. Especially the north side of the pass.

I will say be careful, I was on the pahrump side headin in and maybe goin about 25 or 30, goin around a corner, a gentleman on an atv and I were trying to use the same line in opposite directions. We both swerved in the right direction, and avoided anything serious, but his 4wheeler put a hurtin on my dodge. Best to take it slow :) We ended up BS'n for a few as he couldnt believe his 4wheeler whomped my dodge, but the proof is right here. Went back to Ford shortly after that :)

Attachments

Thanks for all the replies. My original intention was to have a get together for Las Vegas area residents (as I know there are a few SSers here but haven't had the chance to meet them yet.), but it seems that almost all the interest is from out of state. I would be happy to have a get together pretty much anywhere. South of Vegas by the dry lake beds would be great, I haven't had much of a chance to explore there yet. And the trail ride on the strip would be neat. (i just have to check on traffic on Sat. nights and ask Metro PD to make sure they wouldn't have a heart attack seeing a bunch of us running down the strip in Military Vehicles).

Ok, sorry for the wait. I have been extremely busy at work. I Have come to the decision that with my current work schedule and inability to get any leave in the next few months, I am not going to be able to put this put together any time soon. I am going to try and make it to Camp Dirtbag if I can. Hopefully I can get something set up for later this year. (Fallish)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks