• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lashing down Cargo cover..how many feet of "Super Rope" are needed?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I've finally got my hands on a cago cover from Hooty481, and got it patched up to be pefectly servicable! However, I still need to get some of the rubber ("super") rope. I think Erik's Military surplus might be a little expensive, but there's a few other things I need to get there too (plus, I know I'm getting the right thing, which is peace of mind for my simple mind)

Rubber Cord (Super Rope) For Military Truck Cargo Covers and Cab Tops

The question I wanted to ask is... about how many feet do I need? The bare minimum would obviously be the sums of the length and width of the bed, roughly 12+8+12+8 = 40 ft. Probably would want a couple feet extra per side at least so say 50 ft? Does that sound reasonable (if a bit expensive at $0.92/ft.)? I'd be safer just to get more (60-70 ft) but I'm trying to not get too much while trying to avoid shooting myself in the foot with running a foot short on a side...

However, from some pictures (and the attached TM) I've seen, do I just run the rope under the lashing loops on the bed (least amount of rope required) or do I wrap around each bed lashings as seen in the blue attached picture (which would require more rope)?

Thank ye kind folk in advance!

Attachments

Last edited:

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Valence, what did you use to patch up your cover? I have one that has several smaller holes and one 4" tear on the front side that I have to fix as well as new rope. Mine has the camo design.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Valence, what did you use to patch up your cover? I have one that has several smaller holes and one 4" tear on the front side that I have to fix as well as new rope. Mine has the camo design.
I actually took it to local canvas shop and had them sew it up. The place made custom boat covers and tarps. While they couldn't match the color at all, my cargo cover is olive drab and what appears that that the military painted a woodland camo pattern on the outside. The canvas shop used flat black vinyl to sew against on the inside where needed and used black thread (heavy stuff).

Mine had a lot more sewing to be done than yours sounds:

• The zipper for the front and rear flap had burst its stitching had to be sewn down (zipper was just fine though)
  • The passenger front corner had ripped appart out of the buckle where it was gathered together, and they made similar black vinyl loops
  • And several other straight rips probably totaling 4 ft.
All that only ran me about $70.00 in shop labor time & materials.

I mean, you can see the black thead used in the sewing, and you can see the vinyl patches inside, but I feel that the cargo cover is still perfectly serviceable. It would be a total shame to have junked it because the cargo cover isn't cracking at all and still seems to have its strength, just been roughly treated. Really, the only thing I'll have to search around for is replacing 3 of the "buckle loops" used to hold the cargo cover sides in the "rolled up" position. The loops on them are broken, but not a big deal, there are 5 per side and 2 front and back, so I can move them around (to even out the "missing" straps) and I'm sure if I want to roll up the cover it'll still hold just fine.

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wrapping around is only done with the actual individual ropes, not with the super rope.
Thanks! I suspected as much, because once I've started paying attention to how other's have secured their cargo covers, most (from what I can tell) have just looped the super rope under the bed lashing points.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks