• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

last post for quite a while

Horst

This week I had to do what I really really hated. Sold my deuce. It was starting to get to the condition I wanted it but realized that more time is needed than I currently have. It is the coolest thing I owned in the last 25 years and I was looking at it more then once today to finally enjoy it.

I just had finished some sheet metal work on the driver side, fixed the leaking IP (thanks gimpyrobb for talking me thru!), when I realized that the next periodic inspection is due already again next month (over here every truck needs it annually). That is more than I can do right now.

I am sure I will get another one sometime, maybe looking for a M275 tractor. But for now, back to the little 151...

Attachments

Horst

good question. Depends where you live in Germany. Here in Bavaria, the southern part of Germany, very few deuces are available and few buyers exist. So in my case, the first (out of 2) guy looking at it also bought it. In middle of Germany, where most of the US Army bases were and some are still located, the market is significantly larger.
The prices are at least twice, but more like 3 times the prices compared to the States. There is no more supply like you still have in the States thru GL, not sure how the situation in Canada is. And not to forget, diesel is more than 8$ for the gallon...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold all but my little jeep trailer, I guess I shouldn't be here anymore either.

This website ain't just for deuces, it's for ALL MVs and their use. Post up some pics of the M151 from time to time, that will give you an excuse to post once in a while! :)

Bill W

Ha!
I went almost 2 years before realizing that I had way to much money in our savings account so I went and bought another Deuce to fix that problem and so far that plan has been working out just perfect aua

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am finally moving my M51A2 out of the Netherlands to the Czech Republic. Our annual checking was coming up as well, so I pushed a bit harder on it; no way it would have passed again without major repairs.

In the Netherlands, you can "freeze" your registration and insurance, but it means you cannot drive with it either. At least, that gives you time to get it in proper shape.

And not to forget, diesel is more than 8$ for the gallon...
Come now Horst, You must remember Rudolph Diesel? When he invented the "compression ignition" engine, he designed and engineered it to run on vegetable or mineral oil. The US military took his concept a step further and engineered the 465LDT Multifuel diesel to run on almost anything. Aren't there any alternative fuels you might be able to obtain considerably cheaper? I'm quite partial to waste motor oil, automatic transmission fluid, and a small amount of petrol to thin the mixture. I've heard some of the vehicle laws in Germany are quite strict. Are there laws that say what you can or can't use for fuel?
:beer:

Horst

One thing people do over here is get gasoline - diesel mixture when people use the wrong pump. I have however not found a source yet.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the Netherlands, they have so-called red diesel - cheaper - for agriculture vehicles. Colored red so they can easily check if you are using it in a regular road vehicle. Regardless, when burning ANYTHING ELSE than regular pump fuel, you are violating the law. Don't forget, in Europe a lot of taxes are levied on fuel. So using non-regular fuel is depriving the government of their bucks. You know how much governments like that anywhere :wink:

3dAngus

That M35A2C looks a whole lot better than most GL trucks I've seen.
Horst, did you go ahead and buy this one from a private owner, or was this a GL purchase.
And if a GL purchase, is this typicaly of the deuces you see come on the auction block at GL?

I can imagine these old vehicles would have to be in tip top shape in Europe, and as good as they can be, or they would either get rid of them, or the motor pool mechanics.
At least that's the way I saw the maintenance of vehicles and aircraft in Germany and Europe when I was there. I'm just wondering if it's the same, and if your vehicle purchases from GL might be a step up for the normal we see here in the U.S. Confirmation would be nice.
Anyway, that is a very nice looking vehicle. Congrations on your purchase.

Horst

I believe it is save to say that in the last 10 years no more M35 are coming out of the Army system over here. So practically all traded now in Germany are from private individuals or dealerships. This particular one was purchased from the Army about 16 years ago, with many missing parts like the engine. I bought it from a dealership. Reason it looks much better than the last one I had is a new out-of-the-box hardtop and cargo cover and some new paint. It is not perfect, does not start as immediate as the old rust bomb I had.
For some reason pricing on these trucks went up significantly in the last 5 years. A good M35 can cost more than a M931, M931A1 which are coming in perfect shape from the Army these days.

bigzirb

Well I thought best replacement for the M35A2c w/w I sold beginning of the year is a M35A2c w/w. Picked up the new deuce today...
I don't know how you went so long without one! :-o:p
I have been without a true MV for over 10 years. I get my fix through the interactions and fellowship here. I hope that will work until I find my next MV because we all know this is an addiction.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For some reason pricing on these trucks went up significantly in the last 5 years. A good M35 can cost more than a M931, M931A1 which are coming in perfect shape from the Army these days.
Nostalgia and rarity makes a good price driver.

What are the links to the German (or US in Germany) auctions where one can still get some US or Nato army material?