• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Late Memorial Day Update

lrjet23

Howdy All,

Just to let you guys know, I have been spreading the MV hobby around Daytona Beach. No, No, I don't just walk on the beach, and drink all day. (Just most days)..

Anyway, thanks to: 4x4 Forever, hndrsonj, timntrucks, wsucugarx, cornrichard, jimm1009, and everyone else. Without the support, I would have gotten a trailer for her. (BTW she is still cruisin, with no changing of parts)

Now, on to Memorial Day!

0600 Alarm goes off!...0650 wife says "Don't you have a parade or something to go to?" YIKES... Glad the boots were polished, clothes laid out, paperwork ready to go. 5 minutes..S.S.S... the deuce is idling up at five past seven. On the road at 0715.

The service is between the local VFW, and the city of Port Orange. I did not make prior arrangements for the event, so did not know where the staging area was. I ASSummed it would be at the VFW. (If you have a 50/50 chance, you have 90% of getting it wrong) I waited til 0830, and headed over to the park, 2 miles away. Just me, one other car, and a bunch of city workers,(can you say overtime).

I found the perfect spot, out of the way, but where she could be seen, to park. Spent 20 minutes strapping flags to her and waited....

An elderly gentlman approaches me not much later. His name was Leonard Kaszuba. He intorused himeself as Emmit, later to be Uncle Emmit. We talked for about 30 minutes, and I could not believe what he way saying.

Turns out, "Uncle Emmit", was under Patton in Africa. Stormed Normandy, and went all the way through to the Battle of th Bulge. I asked him about not having supplies to go all the way to Berlin, he just said "that was rough".

Ceromony starts, WWII aircraft do a flyby, what a wonderful time had by all. Halfway through the ceromony, the VFW Commander orders Leonard Kaszuba, front and center. The Commander then presents, Leonard Kaszuba, with the Bronze Star with Valor. (Congress passed two? years ago that anyone who stormed Normandy, and was at the Battle of the Bulge is awared the medal)

Now, to the awesome part of the day. Turns out, some fool got stuck in the sand. After three attempts om the deuce trying to relieve him of the Florida sugar sand , we got him out. (Wasn't because of power, I made him hook up his 2" strap himself. Snapped twice. then he got it) I was just thinking about getting sued for ripping his axle off his "little" truck. That done off I go to the house.

I got lost in the park and had to make a U-turn. As I turned around, I saw Uncle Emmit's car still where it was. As I approached his car, he was just ready to get into it. I STOPPED in right there, in the middle of the road, to talk to the man. I asked him if he was heading over to the VFW? "I am" he replied! I then told Uncle Emitt, that it would be an honor and privelidge to drive you there.

"Let me TELL my wife", and then asked his nephew to drive his car. (He still drives, at 87)

In the machine he climbs, with no help from anyone(like he is 17 years old) By the time I climbed in the drivers seat, he had the"A/C blowing and the radio set to his station". Eventhough it was only a few miles to the club, dressed in his WWII Dress uniform, I do not know who enjoyed that trip more.

I would think it was Uncle Emmit, I HOPE.

For ME, that was the best moment in my life.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/49234-soon-broke.html
Link form my trip to Florida

Ceremonies honor fallen fighters - News
Link to Leonard Kaszuba's honor

Attachments

Oilleaker1

The more you go to events with your green machine, the more unwritten vet stories you hear. They eyes brighten and out come the memories. A free history lesson. Another perk of owning green. Thanks for your story! John

mckeeranger

The Commander then presents, Leonard Kaszuba, with the Bronze Star with Valor. (Congress passed two? years ago that anyone who stormed Normandy, and was at the Battle of the Bulge is awared the medal)
I thought they passed that several years ago. My father received his in the mid-70s. ( Omaha Beach )

That is an awesome story ,BTW. He waited a long time for recognition he was well due. I'm glad he got to live to see it, glad you got to meet him, and glad you shared it with us.

Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks