• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Late model tiger tank pulled from a Bog in Eastern europe

scooter01922

Wasn't this done about a year ago???? Think they used a BIG komatsu dozer from a local quarry to pull it out. Looked really nice if i remember correctly.

Nonotagain

Story and last two pics.

WW II Russian tank with German markings uncovered after 62 years. WW II Buffs will find this interesting. Even after 62 years (and a little tinkering), they were able to fire up the diesel engine!
<B><FONT face=Verdana><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">
A Komatsu D375A-2 bulldozer pulled the abandoned tank from its tomb under the boggy bank of a lake near

Attachments

gunboy1656

First time I have seen those pics.

Man did that look like ALOT of work......now that is one heck of a recovery.

Looks good just coming out of there, wonder what it looks like now?

Nonotagain

Last attempt for posting the story.

WW II Russian tank with German markings uncovered after 62 years. WW II Buffs will find this interesting. Even after 62 years (and a little tinkering), they were able to fire up the diesel engine!

A Komatsu D375A-2 bulldozer pulled the abandoned tank from its tomb under the boggy bank of a lake near Johvi , Estonia . The Soviet-built T34/76A tank had been resting at the bottom of the lake for 56 years. According to its specifications, it's a 27-ton machine with a top speed of 53km/hr.

From February to September 1944, heavy battles were fought in the narrow, 50 km-wide, Narva front in the northeastern part of Estonia . Over 100,000 men were killed and 300,000 men were wounded there. During battles in the summer of 1944, the tank was captured from the Soviet army and used by the German army. (This is the reason that there are German markings painted on the tank's exterior.) On 19th September, 1944, German troops began an organized retreat along the Narva front. It is suspected that the tank was then purposefully driven into the lake to conceal it when its captors left the area.

At that time, a local boy walking by the lake, Kurtna Matasjarv, noticed tank tracks leading into the lake but not coming out anywhere. For two months he saw air bubbles emerging from the lake. This gave him reason to believe that there must be an armored vehicle at the lake's bottom. A few years ago, he told the story to the leader of the local war history club 'Otsing'. Together with other club members, Mr. Igor Shedunov initiated diving expeditions to the bottom of the lake about a year ago. At the depth of 7 metres they discovered the tank resting under a 3 metre layer of peat.

Enthusiasts from the club, under Mr Shedunov's leadership, decided to pull the tank out. In September of 2000 they turned to Mr. Aleksander Borovkovthe, manager of the Narva open pit company AS Eesti Polevkivi, to rent the company's Komatsu D375A-2 bulldozer. (Currently used at the pit, the Komatsu dozer was manufactured in 1995, and has recorded 19,000 operating hours without major repairs.)

The pulling operation began at 09:00 and was concluded at 15:00, with several technical breaks. The weight of the tank, combined with the travel incline, made for a pulling operation that required significant muscle. The D375A-2 handled the operation with power and style. The weight of the fully-armed tank was around 30 tons, so the active force required to retrieve it was similar. A main requirement for the 68-ton dozer was to have enough weight to prevent slippage while moving up the hill.

After the tank surfaced, it turned out to be a 'trophy tank' that had been captured by the German army in the course of the battle at Sinimaed (Blue Hills) about six weeks before it was sunk in the lake. Altogether, 116 shells were found on board. Remarkably, the tank was in good condition, with NO RUST, and alll systems (except the engine) in working condition. This is a very rare machine, especially considering that it fought both on the Russian and the German sides. Plans are underway to fully restore the tank. It will be displayed at a war history museum in the Gorodenko village on the left bank of the River Narv.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Not this story again. It isn't a Tiger, it's a T34. It was used by the Germans and based on the coupla was overhauled by the Germans. A unit was never mentioned but I suspect it was one of 60 T34's used by the 2nd SS Panzer Division.

Crazyguyla

This reminds me of a story I heard while I was stationed at ft polk. A farmer found a M60 tank buried on his property( which bordered Ft Polk's training area. The story goes something like this: Tank sunk into swamp during a training exercise and was considered a loss. Land is sold and filled to become farm land. Farmer hits some metallic while digging ( don't know why he was digging maybe well, septic tank...) Excavates and finds a M60 tank buried on land. This is one of those i heard this through my buddy friend brother cousin friend type story. I have come across tanks buried up to thier hulls on Ft polk( they were mostly turrentless stripped hulks). I'll try to find the pictures I took and post them.

kcimb

Gents, that isn't it.

It's a tiger tank, not a t-34. The information is from a guy who owns a restored a German Stug 4, so I would say it's reliable.

If the damn photo uploaded would work I'd upload a partial picture.

kcimb

Picture included..

Amazing, it worked.

What I am told this is is the top armor of the turret.

The vehicle took a hit, was abandoned, and sank in the mud to be claimed by the bog as time went on. Most of the vehicle is there and all major parts-finals, engine, etc. Some holes, yes, but all there. Restorable, for sure.

Attachments

Skip

Stuff found in Bogs

Both stories are great. It is nice to hear that things from WWII is still turning up. DJ might have more info on this, But I heard that a WWII training plane was found in a lake here in Maine. I think that tomorrow I will go out to the wood lot with a log metal shaft and check the swamp. maybe I'll get lucky too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks