• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Latest Acquisition: M923 (pics)

No.2Diesel

Hi,

I just wanted to share some photos of the M923 that my brother and I have added to our small motorpool of big trucks. Just like the M819 (found in the bushes while out looking for HD leaf springs for a 1ton Dump) we came across this gem in a similar manner.

We have already dubbed it "princess" or "prissy" due to its luxurious features and appointments :wink: . Its definately not our style but we just couldn't resist. :) We like the fact that it wasn't an A1 or A2. They can keep their electronic engine controls, CTIS & super singles :p .

-Its a 1984 AM General. We think its a USAF truck (only cuz one of the "buckle up" dash stickers is by order of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the USAF.)

-It has 12,000 mi. and 365 hrs.

-You Michigan/Minn. guys must be getting a stiffy by looking at the 4 color winter pattern :wink: We'llprob. make it 3 color woodland but the current paint job is pretty nice.

-The only real maintenance issues beyond normal is the pass. side boot is wet but not dripping (still class 1) This truck is otherwise bone dry underneath. I just hope it stays that way after we start driving it.

-Its missing a spare tire, cargo bows and cover and the seats have rips in them. The rear mudflaps are bent and the troopsides need prime and paint. Otherwise it looks and operates great.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh and BTW..... this truck WILL be at the Rausch Creek Rally next week. We are currently PMing it.

Thanks for letting me share. Enjoy the pictures. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

Cdub

She is a real fine gem........Good luck with her.......

Will we see her at the NYC Parade this November......??

Cheers,

C'dub

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats. If I can help in any way, let me know. I've owned quite a few of these trucks and would be happy to answer any questions that I can.

LanceRobson

I must not be looking in the right bushes. The "best" thing I've found in a hedgerow is a 1946 Bantam trailer.

Good find! You do realize that if that's at RC you may need to find another way home, don't you?

Lance

No.2Diesel

HAHA Lance. We'll have to put LoJack on it :D

-Thanks for the nice remarks and offers of help. (I'm taking you up on that now actually) Bkubu, what type of ATF is recommended? The quantities are on the data plate but not the type. Thanks in advance for your real-life experience and info on this topic.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dexron 3 is what's spec'd in the manual and recommended by Allison. I got mine in a 5-gallon bucket from NAPA. Sorry I won't see it next weekend, but I had a business meeting pop up at the last minute.

Congrats!! Thanks for leaving the A1/A2 trucks for the rest of us :)

No.2Diesel

Thank you Chris for the input. I'll be reading your old threads. Yeah can't wait to hit the trails.

ohh....and....your welcome! (said like Nick Burns the company computer guy) 8)

Cdub

Just a suggestion but Winter is just around the corner and a block heater would be good idea as you may already know.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=15879&highlight=zerostart

Don't forget about the TM's we have here at the Steel Soldiers

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&tid=1

any manual with these numbers would be for a M939 series TM 9-2320-272-##

If you do make it to the NYC parade in November. I'll have a TM 9-2320-272-10 new OPERATOR’S MANUAL for you in my truck.

btw......did your M923 come with the ABS MWO by any chance.....??

seya,

C'dub

No.2Diesel

-Thanks Cdub! I didn't think there were any 939 series manuals uploaded to the site. I perused the TM section and found none. I have found sample TMs at tpubs.com . I'll look for you when were in the city.

-Hey Spentshell, we need to have a local MV convoy one of these days with all the new Deuce owners around!

-Hey Mikester. Welcome to the site. Got any MVs? You could be right about the brush truck thing. Although you'd have to have alot of detatchable segments in the exo-skeleton for the big tilt hood to open.

Cdub

No.2Diesel said:
-Thanks Cdub! I didn't think there were any 939 series manuals uploaded to the site. I perused the TM section and found none. I have found sample TMs at tpubs.com . I'll look for you when were in the city.
Looks like I'll have to make you up a CD with the TM's I have in PDF

Cheers,

C'dub

No.2Diesel

Awesome. I owe you.

Oh about the ABS MWO....I didn't see any tag for that or any sensors or wiring at the axles that would be a giveaway.

I read the safety report a while ago and my conclusion is that the operator is mostly responsible for the tire-lockups causing the engine to stall, loss of power-steering and possible roll over. The operators were driving too close and too fast. If you stomp on the brakes in any truck that is unloaded its going to lock up.

I'm ok with no abs. One less thing to break.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you had ABS, you would have a small yellow light in the lower left corner of the cluster that says ABS. It's not too bad of a system, but I haven't found many that work. There is a tone ring on the left rear axle shaft. Then, there is a valve over the tandems that modulates the braking. The ECU is in the cab and it taps power from the protective control box harness. I have the MWO TM around here somewhere. I'll try to find it when I find the other manual for Cdub (sorry Craig).