• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Latest generator acquisition/upgrade out of Fort Drum

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many of you folks know me from my initial adventures a couple of years ago with a depot-rebuilt MEP-002A. After being away from SS for about a year (Life gets hectic sometimes), I became active again a few weeks ago as I closed in on my two year search for just the right MEP-003A.

A recent lot of generators closed a couple of weeks ago at Fort Drum. A couple of gems were in this bunch and I pulled the trigger on one that appeared to be rebuilt and intact, but was receiving minimal scrutiny due to missing a fuel cap and a couple of fuel filter canisters. I snagged it for just over $1300, including buyer's fee. Shipping from Fort Drum to my local freight terminal two towns away was arranged for $499. I paid an additional $169 for lift gate truck delivery from the terminal to the top of my driveway.

The generator arrived quickly and was well wrapped. I started the process of bringing it to life this weekend. I removed the military fuel canister array and installed two Napa fuel filter spin-on bases. The first base sports a fuel/water separator and the second base sports a 10 micron fuel filter. I installed the military style oil filter for now, although I have one of Speddmon's adapter kits already coming. I used his kit on the 002 a couple of years ago and much prefer that style.

The fuel tank was exceptionally clean. Paperwork with the generator indicated that the military DRMO'd this generator in March of this year, at which time the fluids were drained. An absorbent pad was placed in the bottom of the fuel tank. There was residual fuel in the base of all three fuel pumps. The fuel was fresh. The screens and magnets in the fuel pumps were all exceptionally clean.

Opening the operator's control box yielded a very nice surprise!!! There was a tag indicating that the generator had been serviced at OSMS Oregon to TM -10/-20 standards. It appears that this refurbishing occurred sometime in 2010. Most of the relays, the VR circuit board and some of the gauges appear to be brand new. The air filter appears to be brand new and is also dated in 2010.

The generator started right up, but I shut it down after a couple of seconds so I could assess the oil level and add some makeup oil. Although I had initially added to the top of the fill range, the generator was devoid of lubrication throughout to the point that I had to add a bit over a quart in makeup oil after it was turned over for a few seconds. The engine was then restarted and left to run. I am running Shell T6 full synthetic 5W-40 in this, just as I run in my 002. The oil pressure in this 003 is very strong. Assuming the pressure gauge is accurate, I read 50 PSI cold and it settles down to 42 PSI when hot. That is approximately 8 PSI better than I get on my 002. I did have a leak at my oil filter canister that was resolved with a slight tightening of the canister bolt.

There is a strong fuel return to the tank. The diesel engine runs strong with just a minor hint of smoke during the first few seconds of run time. I checked the electrical output with my Fluke VOM. Surprisingly, the hertz and volt meters are incredibly accurate, as in dead on the money!! That was a pleasant surprise, especially considering that the voltage meter is not one that got changed.

I'll load test sometime in a couple of weeks. The wife and I are going away this coming weekend for our anniversary, so I cannot do it earlier. If the load test is successful, it will be time to market the 002 and place this one on my M101A2 trailer.

I have uploaded pictures as an album and I will attempt to include these pics here. Meanwhile, I would be interested to hear from anyone else that picked up one of the 003's out of Fort Drum in event 12005. I suspect most or all of them are resets. I'm also going to PM Storeman to see if he has a fuel cap for sale. He seemed to be the "parts guy" around here a couple of years ago and that appears to still be true.

John

Attachments

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the heads up, Mike. I'll PM Storeman to see if he has one, then turn to Erik's if not.

John

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Similar story here. In August I scored a PU-753M at Camp Beauregard [Pineville, La]. It's a '91 003a, re-set by LEAD in '07, showing 11.2 hours; it's sitting on a late-'06 Libby M116A2, w/cover, both OD. It set me back $2.045k total; no complaint. Picked it up, pulled the cover, and the dog and I had a nice ride home. Only visible negatives are missing the aux fuel hose and bung adapter and a broken wiring tab at the rear-most glow plug.

Ordered filters [Baldwin] and extra gaskets [McMaster-Carr], 4/4 SEEOW [<$6/ft delivered], and a 100a transfer switch [$118+tax, delivered]. The air filter looks new and is clean; fuel filters appeared clean. The fuel-pump housing bases and stacked-ring screens, the fuel tank sleeve, and the filter canisters and strainers had miniscule amounts of tan ?silt/clay?, suggesting perhaps a Middle East stay. The tank looked flashlight clean, perhaps new, and the oil on board was bright and clear. The set was OD CARCed, except for the spots that the LEAD folks declined to dis-assemble for painting. No rust and the tires show no wear and tear. It appears that the Mississippi NG unit it came from kept it covered after re-furb, and that it stayed so after it moved to Beauregard. Let's hear it for the cover! New filters and gaskets last week; the Baldwin gaskets for the fuel canister housings fit like a latex glove; same-same oil filter. I went with group 24s for starting; that install needs to be nicened up with a couple of pieces of wood.

Oiled and fueled it up yesterday and it lit up without a hitch, unless one counts not having adequately tightened the strainer bolt and not closing the drain petcock. Dialed in the hertz and volts and they held steady for the ~30-minute run; oil pressure unwavering at 40. Charging might be an issue, as the needle stayed in the yellow. Speddmon's check is next on the list.

So far, so good. Fix the broken tab, the ac charging check, make up a cord to run the 3-ph saw that has been patiently waiting, and have the electrician out in a couple of weeks to hook up to the house. The saw will be the first real trial...install and hook up ground rod. Hopefully tropical systems will hold off until October, insh'allah. If one comes, it's: make a list of circuits to do without, break the neutral ground on the skid, and disconnect the rod from the trailer. We shall see.

Bill

PS
Pics would be nice, had I not had a senior moment and misplaced the bleeding camera.

Last edited:

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jerry got back to me, but did not have a fuel cap. I ordered one out of Erik's Military Surplus.

John

Rapracing

I got one of the 003's from that auction as well. I haven't taken it off the trailer yet. Been too busy to do anything with it between work and dealing with the problems on the 002 voltage and hz

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks