• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Latest Off-Road Video - Purinton Creek Trail - Alaska

McSpeed

We had a blast last weekend trying this new-to-me trail that starts about mile 92 on the Old Glenn Hwy.

This was a combo of hills, heavy deep mud, rocks, and water crossing. Kind of had it all.

We made it through the heavy mud no problem. Really just rolled through it were others struggled. Either the truck is that good, or I'm learning more how to brake modulate and drive it through.

The hills were not a problem either - this was luck. The last trip the hills shut us down after some light rain, even at 8-10 PSI.

This time - the rocks kicked my butt - like high centered on the right rocker - and just banged and grabbed them BAD. This is my weak spot - the 37" tall tires are okay for what I'm doing - but the width and belly rub have been an issue. I posted a thread in the hot rod forum about rock slider ideas.

Over all, this was one of my best trips. The water fording was AWESOME . I'm guessing it was only 2 to 2.5' but the current was strong and you could feel the back of the truck getting pushed sideways. Due to again the lower body mount on this vs. the jacked up lifted trucks I was running with, the current really grabbed and shoved me - where I don't think they got it as bad with it mostly pushing on their tires - not bodies.

It is always a good trail ride when you make it home under your own power - I even got to tow a dead Toyota nearly 2/3 of the way back on the Glenn - thank GOD it was mostly down hill - the 6.2 and turbo 400 were about to puke on the steep hills - AND pulling a dead truck.

I hope you guys enjoy the vid

I've washed it up since this and will at a minimum have to drill out and re-rivet that panel.

McSpeed

Great to see folks using these trucks as designed
On a cautionary note, after that much fording, I would not wait to drains and refill Diffs and geared hubs, I found even a day out playing in the water I had water intrusion into my hubs.
Yes yes yes. On the to do list. I was a bad owner and didn’t drain from the last one either.

McSpeed

What do you carry for spare parts?
You mean while on the trail?
Here is what I do at the present:
1. Basic tool kit - with universal adjustable wrenches and two socket sets.
2. Oil and funnel
3. Duct tape and zip ties
4. Spare tire (in the bed - will soon have it on the mount on the air lift bumper)
5. paper towels
6. Wheel chocks
7. two - two way radios
8. blankets and tarps
9. High lift jack
10. Wheel lug wrench
12. ratchet straps and bungies
13. chain saw
14. shovel
15. gloves
15. spare change of socks/pants
16. flash lights
17. Phone chargers
18. tree savers, bubba rope, nylon tow strap
19. three come alongs
20. snatch block
21. Water/snacks
22. First Aid
23. 2A items for Animal and Manimal protection
24. knife/razor
25. Anti-fog for the windows.

As far as spare parts for the truck....nothing really.

McSpeed

I was referring to truck parts, which you answered. Nice video.
I was referring to truck parts, which you answered. Nice video.
What parts do you think would be wise to bring? During the winter I usually don’t turn it off when on the trail. Probably shouldn’t have on this trip but was worried about having enough fuel to make it home. Starter would be a major issue of a failure in the trial. But maybe good to have a spare??? It has the dual output alternator. That’s a big item to store on board. But maybe worth it?

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
I have way more experience with the 151's. Last summer a friend and I did the entire Blue Ridge Parkway in our M151A2's, down and back. 1,362 miles in 7 days. I took spare waterpump, fuel pump, coils, distributor, fuel filter, gaskets, fluids and tools. He also took spare parts. Way overkill but I like to be prepared as you never know. I would think some spare half shafts to take at a minimum.

Last edited:

McSpeed

I have way more experience with the 151's. Last summer a friend and I did the entire Blue Ridge Parkway in our M151A2's, down and back. 1,362 miles in 7 days. I took spare waterpump, fuel pump, coils, distributor, fuel filter, gaskets, fluids and tools. He also took spare parts. Way overkill but I like to be prepared as you never know. I would think some spare half shafts to take at a minimum.
That list makes sense. The biggest issue I have with a breakdown around here isn’t the overall distance to get home as much as the fact Alaskans often think a stranded and abandoned truck is a perfect item to target practice on and to see if it will burn. Sad but true. You leave nothing on the trails thanks to those a**holes. One of the crappy parts about living in a land such as this.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NIce video and adventure... One thing I noticed was water crossing and your intake.. Might be wise to raise ypur intake just a couple 5-6" to keep fording water that comes up to hood from entering intake.. Just my 2 cents.. Keep filming and posting.. Love the videos !!!!

Ocho

McSpeed

NIce video and adventure... One thing I noticed was water crossing and your intake.. Might be wise to raise ypur intake just a couple 5-6" to keep fording water that comes up to hood from entering intake.. Just my 2 cents.. Keep filming and posting.. Love the videos !!!!

Ocho
I agree. I also waited till the engine was cool before crossing to keep the temp down so the fan didn’t engage in the water. That would be bad.
Going as fast as I did pushed the water over the hood pretty bad. But I went fast to keep moving with the strength of the current.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree. I also waited till the engine was cool before crossing to keep the temp down so the fan didn’t engage in the water. That would be bad.
Going as fast as I did pushed the water over the hood pretty bad. But I went fast to keep moving with the strength of the current.
stomp throttle... cause 30 sec delay for fan.. used for all military water crossings.. Just saying..

McSpeed

stomp throttle... cause 30 sec delay for fan.. used for all military water crossings.. Just saying..
I honestly wasn’t aware of that technique. How does that work? What makes it disengage ? Around here in an frequently all the way stomped to climb hills and the fan will cycle during hill climbing on the highway.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time delay module… it’s setup to shut off fan for 20 or 30 secs when throttle is fully depressed.. Full Throttle triggers a switch on IP that sends signal to TDM to Cadillac valve to shut off fan…. Search TDM or Time Delay Module 👍🏼

McSpeed

Time delay module… it’s setup to shut off fan for 20 or 30 secs when throttle is fully depressed.. Full Throttle triggers a switch on IP that sends signal to TDM to Cadillac valve to shut off fan…. Search TDM or Time Delay Module 👍🏼
Oh yes…right! I had forgotten that.

on another note….picked up the gear oil last night. Goingto drain the gear boxes this weekend and See if they have taken any water.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks