• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Latest on my M1009, couple questions

axshon

So I still can't work on the old girl since the house remodel is not complete. Still, I've been aching to get out there and look to see if I've damaged her when I face-planted and hooked up the trickle charger backwards on the rear battery. I cannot get either battery to charge at this point so I ended up just pulling the charger off. When hooked to my car though with 8 ga cables, I let the glow plugs warm up and it fired up in literally .5 seconds. It didn't even sound like it had cranked over for a full stroke. Happy me! The Gen1 light flickered on and off and the belts squealed like a banshee momentarily and then quieted down and the Gen1 light went off. Warmed it up for about 10 minutes and took the jumper cables off. Drove it around the block no problem. Reverse seems really weak so I'll change fluids and check the governor gear along with the list of other mods to do once I'm cleared by the boss to get officially started. So overall I think I've got a good one even with the body work I'm going to need. Oh and the spare? Spankin' new with casting flash still on it. Goodyear Wranglers all the way around. Nice! So a few questions:

Paint:
I really like the camo paint job but the passenger door will have to be replaced and in the sun I can now see that there is a huge spot of bondo on the drivers side door as well. I didn't think they did that in the Army... In looking at the door I noticed that some sarcastic private put the data plate on the drivers door upside down. Heh. So knowing that I'll have to do a lot of body work, it seems easier to just rattle-can repaint the entire thing the flat CARC green color. Is there a down side to this other than the obvious non-camo finish? I keep looking at the camo paint job and thinking how much time and effort it's going to be to repaint it and get it just right. I think my time is better spent on reliability modes and keeping it all straight.

Replacement batteries:
I believe at least 800 CCA is the minimum, does anyone know if companies make maintenance-free batteries of the correct size for the holders on the CUCV? I googled it on here but didn't find what I was looking for. What's the standard if you aren't interested in a true MV restoration?

Rear Bumper/Hitch:
I have searched rear bumper, rear hitch etc and have not found what I was looking for. I'd like to find a rear bumper with a swing out spare mounted on one side and a single or double swing-out jerry can mount on the other side and a Class 3 or Class 4 receiver so I can swap out a ball for a pintle. Anyone know of something like this? I am planning on NOT lifting it so having the hitch stick out below will really affect departure angles off road plus I need to keep the back clear for the pooch when the family are in the seats.

The Tree Bumper Fix:
So with the pushed in front bumper I was told here and recall from my youth to hook a chain around a tree and to the bumper and back up till it's back where it should be. The problem is that when I look under the front end I can't see where any metal has been buckled and it's clear that there is not a 5mpg bumper on these trucks. So I'm pulling directly on the frame, not on some plunger deal under there. So when you pull the bumper back aren't you risking torqueing the entire frame and messing something else up in the process of restoring the bumper position? I know you go easy on it but when do you know its right if you never saw it the way it was supposed to be in the first place?

SLOrazorsedge

Interstate Battery Company is an official vendor for the military. I replaced my 4 batteries on my M923 with OEM Interstate batteries. They have maintenance free and the wet cell versions. Best of luck.

cpallme

With my batteries I just took the old ones into Autozone and they gave me a pair that were the same size with I believe 900 CCA. They weren't cheap but my m1009 being a DD I was in a pinch and wasn't able to do much shopping around. With the paint I say it's your call, mine was OD green with a white top and black bumpers from the Army and I like the look but of course I'm partial :) I know the rear tire mount/bumper is hard to find and isn't cheap when you do. DIY4X makes a swing-down one that appears to be high quality like a lot of their stuff, but is going to cost a pretty penny and I'm not sure about the hitch for them. All in all, its your truck do what you want to do :beer:

cpallme

axshon

So I found this site: http://www.offroadltd.com/bumpers.htm and it is pretty much exactly the rear bumper that I want. Crazy expensive but I can't fab that myself so I'll start saving once I'm on the road. I sent the company an email with questions and figured that folks might find the reply interesting. They responded the same day and were very friendly. Here were my questions and their answers. I didn't want to start a new thread for this since it seems there is not a heck of a lot of interest for it. Still, I wanted to post the information in case anyone was looking into it.
Q: Is it a bolt-on unit?
A: Yes, the rear bumper is a bolt on unit.

Q: What is the load rating on the 2" receiver?
A: We have never load tested the receiver, but I would say it would handle up to 5,000lbs pretty easy.

Q: What is the turn time from order to shipment?
A: Turn around time depends on how many orders we have in front, but on average it is 3-4 weeks.

Q: How does the swing pivot point work? It is a bushing, greased fitting etc.?
A: Both pivots are a steel bushing type set up with grease fittings.

Q: I found 2 prices online for the unit. What is the current price for a unit with tire and can swing outs?
A: The pricing that you see at the link you sent, is current pricing. $1499.00 bumper/tire/can and $1299.00 for bumper/tire mount.

Q: What is the shipping weight/cost to ship from your location to MD?
A: A rough guess on shipping (based on commercial shipping address) is usually $250.00 - $275.00

Best Regards,
Christa Shogren/Manager
Off Road Ltd
14200 E Colfax
Aurora, CO 80011

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks