• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LAWS for passengers in the back??

treysoucie

im locted in texas and been thinking about using my deuce for a business idea that would require me transporting 15 people or less in the bck of the truck using the troop seats. In texas so long as you are carrying less than 15 people you dt need a CDL. im just wondering if the deuce can be considered a "shuttle" as opposed to a "truck" becuase i dont think you can have people in the bed of a truck on public roads unless in a parade.

mikey

i saw someone on here who had seatbelts installed on the troop seats because he used his deuce for the boyscouts...

i would be too worried about the liability to even consider that... you better have an insurance policy for a few million $$$... god forbid you have an accident, or even jam the brakes too hard, and 15 people sue you for $100k each....

mikey

treysoucie

yeah im sure it would be risky but im willin to take a chance. hopefully the guy who did the seatbelt thing will chime in and give me some advice. also i will only be operating on 1 street going back and forth, traffici usually heavy and speeds would never reach over 25 mph.

Last edited:

Heavysteven

I took my family in the back of my truck to bruster's ice-cream shop. Was about 6 miles on a back road kept below 40 mph. Total of ten people. Was it against the law maybe and I am sure the insurance would have not covered any thing. I had fun and would do it again.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I won't even put anybody in the back of my PU, no matter what the law is

Lawrence of Arabia

They obviously put troop seats back there for a good reason. I have purchased seat belts so the family can ride in back. Mostly I wanted them to keep the X-wife from raising a stink with me when I dropped the kids off to her in it, but the biggest reason as stated above is the sudden stop factor.

3dAngus

im locted in texas and been thinking about using my deuce for a business idea that would require me transporting 15 people or less in the bck of the truck using the troop seats. In texas so long as you are carrying less than 15 people you dt need a CDL. im just wondering if the deuce can be considered a "shuttle" as opposed to a "truck" becuase i dont think you can have people in the bed of a truck on public roads unless in a parade.
Laws vary by state. In Georgia, it is illegal to ride in the back of a pickup if under 18 years of age. I don't know the age of your folks, but am sending you this link for reference purposes only. I don't think it will answer your specific question, but might help otherwise.

Cargo area laws

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, viral video. But I'd like to see a deuce do those fish-tails in any condition.

But back on topic, I too want to do this too and you are correct on the 15 passenger part but everyone must be buckled in - period. I know there are boxes of seat belts coming off GL but I cant justify buying 150 of them!

runk

Law in Texas changed to no one under 18 in back of pickup ~5 - 10 years ago. Changed to everyone must have seatbelts 1 or 2 years ago (or car seats / booster seats if under 7(?) or certain size/weight). Also, I'd only put 12 or 13 seatbelts (depending on the number you've got in the cab) in for the troop seats, as law here is 15 people or less, including the driver, or you need a CDL. Since all the manuals and specs consider the deuce a troop transport as well as a cargo truck, I think you would be legal after adding seatbelts.
Now liability and risk.... That might be different.

LanceRobson

I'm all for finding legal and safe ways to make a few bucks with my MVs but I think you need to treat this in a businesslike fashion.

The military uses these things in combat and combat support roles and to train for them. Many things they do with them are not transferable to civilian experience.

I suspect that regardless of what state you are in you will need a taxi, bus or livery registration and insurance to transport people as a core part of any business plan.

I recommend you contact the commercial vehicle enforcement folks in your state. Ask for a determination on the matter. To avoid the common quagmire of opinions and knee-jerk reactions, as opposed to fact, ask them to cite the applicable section of state vehicle and traffic code for each finding or determination.

Then , since you will be using the vehicle in a business, and I'd bet a lot of money that your insurance policy specifically prohibits the carriage of people and cargo for hire, you'll need business insurance that accepts the risk. I think that will be tough.

You really ought to spend the money to consult with a lawyer about establishing a limited liability corporation (LLC). That is an inexpensive way to possibly insulate your other non-business assets (including things like your future income) from lawsuits.

The reality is that we live in a litigious society and I can see where, no matter what you do to modify a deuce, you will be easy pickings for a personal injury lawyer.

Lance

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
One more thing, If you drive it for a business ( commercial venture) a CDL,with commercial insurance and tags will be REQUIRED, historic tags wont work, if something happens, that will be the first thing that the LOE will ask for.

This venture is different then taking the kids for a ride or parade duty.

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military made those seats facing sidewards, which is the best way for quickly getting out.
For more regual transport, I would install my own seats and make them facing forward. You can adapt or make some nice-looking imitation troop seats like that or even install some old ones from a regular person van. They have seatbelts attached.

I started write this: "In Europe, this is not an issue (better, a non-starter). In civic life, you are only allowed to transport as many people as you have seats mentioned in your truck registration papers". Another variation mentions "as many passengers as you have approved safety belts". However, seems that the new Dutch law failed to copy a prohibition on people in the back of trucks! Don't worry. they will get us on the "cloth hanger article": everything that can or potentially could endanger the life of the people in or out of the car is forbidden.

Thanks for the thread, I must ask our DoT how they look upon troop benches and people in the back of the truck for my vehicle as well.

3dAngus

I started to write up all this same negativity after my first post, where they would have been back to back. But then I decided to delete it. We can be so negative, but with sorry arse lawyers pecking at our hides everywhere we turn for profit, this can be a cynical world.
I am in agreement with every post here. That's what makes me so sick about it.

Can't even have fun anymore for worrying about the darn lawyers and the " coulda, woulda, shoulda's"

Just do it!!!!! Enjoy.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checked the other threads and found a very usefull document on the person carrying capacity of our trucks - thanks BigBee. The full pdf version is under the resources-technical manuals here It is the last item on that page, under number TB 9-639.

If nothing else, show this paper to your insurance company and carry it around. It might help, since it shows that your truck has a person carrying capacity in the back! The M51A2 dump truck has a capacity of 12 persons :jumpin::jumpin: This is with or without the 5 ton of sand I am already carying? The semi trailer van can carry 80 people! Wonder how and where they stack them?

The safety of those people, now that is a different thing. Less original, but I would go for the forward-facing modern seats.

B3.3T

In Ohio, unless there are seatbelt-equipted seats, passengers are only permitted if under 25mph.

Whitey

Maryland:

people 16 and older; people 15 and younger if the vehicle is traveling 25 mph or less; employees being transported to work sites or people engaged in farming operations; exceptions do not eliminate requirement to use child restraint or belts; inapplicable to pickup trucks with covered cargo areas.

I bet if the local constable finds a group of people in the back of a covered deuce he'd only be thinking human smuggling and not boy scout troop.