• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LD vs. LDT Pistons

CUMMINS

Does anybody know what the difference between LD465 pistons and LDT465 pistons is, Is the piston bowl shaped differently for the turbo charged motors, I'm about to put a D turbo on my LD motor and was wondering what exactly is different about the two motors

rdixiemiller

There is no difference. The turbos were retrofits onto the LD engines. I believe the pump timing is a little different. I have seen deuces with the exhaust pipe hole torched through the fender, indicating trucks that originally had the LD engine.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The -1A five ton multifuel engine used different pistons, injectors, piston cooling nozzles, turbo, timing, and fuel delivery rates for starters. All that to make about 25 more horses in reality.

dg

red devils dude

G744 5ton's use the LDS-465(note the "s") LD's come in a 1A too like mine.
rdixiemiller the non turbo truck's have the same fender's as the turbo truck's the pipe
goes out the same spot with both engines the difference is on a non turbo truck the exhaust
curves back under the truck to the muffler.

rdixiemiller

A lot of the older trucks dumped the exhaust behind the rear tandems. I have seen M35A1's that did not have the hole in the fender. Depends when they were made. I have seen fenders (not gassers) that have had the exhaust pipe hole torched through and the 2 little trim pieces installed. These trucks were at Howards, just like they came out of the Army.

rice

My 62 Studebaker M35A1 had the 427 w/turbo and the exhaust came out by the rear tandem, no hole in fender.

CUMMINS

my truck had a muffler with the exaust dumped between the tandems , but is now straight piped, I wanted to add a stack with the turbo but don't know exactly where to drill the hole.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc,
Yeah, but other than those FOUR THINGS, nice rig, right?

And are you ABSOLUTELY SURE the driver is a girl? Might be 'one of those kind' of guys. You know, the ones who LIKE girls like his passenger! The kind with large head lights...

That's the type of truck I'd like to build and enter into next years Real Truck Challenge with a group of SS members. We can say SS is our 'truck club's name'.

That might actually fly, right??

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RAMs M275A2 has an LD465 and it has rear exit exhaust and is Cadillac quiet. There were many a -A2 with rear exit exhaust.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks