• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LD465 question!

DeuceNewbie

ok so i just won a truck of a the GL auction and was not allowed to preview it (i know bad idea but she was just so pretty!). I was looking at the contract info on the GL bidding log and noticed that supposedly the truck came equipped with the LD465.

ok so what i am wondering is was it common for these trucks to have turbos added later on? i read somewhere that the exhaust could somtimes be a good indicator as far as size when it came to turbo and non turbo trucks

also if it was common for the turbo to be added after the fact was there a common one used? like a "C" (wishful thinking)

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this subject

attached is hopefully an accurate pic of what i hope to be picking up soon! can anyone tell by the numbers where shes from?

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rest easy, that truck has a turbo. I have no idea which one though.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would second his statement. The non turbo models have a much smaller diameter exhaust tube. Look at the pics of my 109 in my photo album.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me rephrase my statement. Unless somebody has stolen it off the truck it has one :wink:. You can also tell because it has no muffler.

Good looking truck, by the way.

nap159

i was worried about my two trucks i bought sight unseen. Both have turbo's and run GREAT. They dont have a lot of power but they are very cool. You will be happy when you pick it up!

DeuceNewbie

i sure hope so jayhawk! im glad yall know what you are talking about because the moment i saw that LD and not LDT my heart sank....im in a much better mood now (although i had convinced myself that extra black smoke was just as good as the whistle)

im ready to pick her up! and my wife is tired of hearing about "the deuce"...my friends too...this is addicting

OKCMoparGuy

Hey DeuceNewbie, looks like you bought 7210? I think you, Jayhawk and myself all bought some nice looking rigs. Hopefully we're all blessed with trucks that run as good as they look. I don't know about you guys but if she's a no-go than my wife will have me sleeping in it......naa, maybe not but she'll sure give me hell.

How shocked would you guys be if they had the LDS plant! I wonder what % of these trucks were repowered with the updated engine......anyone care to shed some light?

Garandfan

NICE SCORE!!! These are hard to tell where they came from. Check the glove box, you may have a nice surprize.. I found a precleareance customs ticket from Kuwait to USA, stamped "Operation Iraqi Freedom." Numbers match the bumper. So I framed it and take it with me to car shows. It add a little more nostalgia to know I have a true documented veteran. The tan on the bumber may be an indication that it was in the middle east or Afghanistan. Mine has the same color scheme. All camo but has tan offsets for the numbering.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
These are hard to tell where they came from. Check the glove box, you may have a nice surprize.

The tan on the bumber may be an indication that it was in the middle east or Afghanistan. Mine has the same color scheme. All camo but has tan offsets for the numbering.

The bumper numbers are still on it so it's easy...

C Battery 1st Battalion, 40th Field Artillery, 434th Field Artillery Brigade out of Ft Sill.

Actually nearly all (90+%) of military vehicles use tan for the background for the bumper numbers. Black on tan is the norm and the directive is to have contrasting colors. This isn't to say I haven't seen other variations.

Jayhawk,

Same suggestion I make to all new owners of the deuce. If you have never been trained or driven one of these trucks before, please read the technical manual. The -10 operators manual is a must. You can find previous posts about this and it can be downloaded in the resources section.

Also keep in mind these vehicles weigh 13K+. Standard car insurance normally max's out at 10K. Ensure you check with your insurance agent to verify you are covered.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Moparguy, the LDS is the 5ton power plant, not an update of the LDT. Just so you know what you are talking about.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bumper numbers are still on it so it's easy...
Hey Carnac, Not being in the military I am at a disadvantage. Can you tell me how to read this bumoer number?

FATC 2-80 E600

I know the truck came from the Ft Sill Training Center (thanks to you looking up the VIN) but nothing else.

Warthog

OKCMoparGuy

Wishful thinking I guess on the LDS engine. I'd read about a few Deuces that had LDS's but guess they must have been swapped by their new owners.

OKCMoparGuy

Gimpyrobb, you posted in the thread "LDS-465-1A Powered M35A2's" that you have a Deuce with the LDS. Someone else posted it was done by National Guard units though.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When depots ran short on LDT engines and had a surplus of LDS engines,, these were rebuilt for the deuces. Most are detuned and include a sticker warning off such. Many maintenance units also do motor swaps and alot of the mechanics are quite savvy in multifuels and I'd bet more than a few put in LDS motors cannibalized from other trucks or can points. You can bet if the guy running the maint shop had a deuce assigned to him, it had every little tweak it could get.

Gimpyrobb, you posted in the thread "LDS-465-1A Powered M35A2's" that you have a Deuce with the LDS. Someone else posted it was done by National Guard units though.
I built my truck. Cab and cassis are one truck, bed from another, bumper and motor from another, got the cab top new from a member here, hemtt bows from another, fmtv cargo top from another, 395s from another, etc, etc. It took a while, but it is how I want it.