• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS-427-2 dismantling issue

movcondude

I am moving into unknown territory in taking a surviving (sort of) USMC Deuce A1, LDS-427-2 engine apart so it can be welded in the engine block (thrown rod). I am stuck in pulling the Crankshaft damper and pulley off. I have given my heavy duty two legged puller all I risk give it but still no movement. Either I am doing something totally wrong or it just isn´t enough pull BUT before I go there I would appreciate if anyone who have experience herein will tell me where I possible go wrong ?

Thanks guys

• Wow
Reactions: HDN

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dampner is a slight interference fit on the crankshaft. Typically the bolt can be used to draw it in place with minimal torque. Yours is being stubborn. More pull is needed.
The 427 is a cool engine and all, smokes like a freight train, BUT hole in the block typically means scrap pile in my world …

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a slight press fit, so maybe it is corroded on?
Suggest to use penetrating fluid and let sit. Then try again. Put the puller on, put it under tension and tap the pulley gently with a big hammer. Don't go too crazy or you might break the pulley edge off.
If no success, consider heating the pulley up some (tough on the rubber but it is likely old and hard anyway and should be replaced with a new harmonic balancer).
Good luck!!

movcondude

Thanks for the all good tips and tricks and your rapid reply it is highly appreciated !

Last night I gave it a shower in penetrating fluid as advised left it until next afternoon and gave it a try with the puller. The two legged puller had a tendency to bend off so I placed a jack stand under the revolving screw while using a airtool,- after a bit of additional pressure it came off in a slowly but surely way

On the damaged block issue, - Yes if I wasn´t a Blacksmith/Welder I would probably have send it to the scrap heap already but I like the challenge even the two holes in the block are like a man sized hand. I will produce two replacement sheets of mild steel and TIG it,- I havent decided yet which filler rod I will be using there are a couple of good ones out there to consider. The hole process will take a considerable amount of time in keeping the correct temperature on the block (around 500 F) while spot weld it criss-cross,- fortunately I am not in a hurry, it will be great fun

Thanks again !

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hole process will take a considerable amount of time in keeping the block temperature as low as possible
Interesting! There will come a time when these blocks (without a hole) are no longer to be found, so we better learn how to fix them.
Please take pictures and keep us posted about the outcome.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone posted this elsewhere but it's worth a link again I think. Never would have thought this would work.

HDN

Interesting! There will come a time when these blocks (without a hole) are no longer to be found, so we better learn how to fix them.
Please take pictures and keep us posted about the outcome.
Someone better figure out how to make new engine blocks! Maybe someday it will be possible to 3D print motors 🤞

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks