• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lds 427-2 runs on silicone but not diesel

appdeuce

I'am a newbie on here, and was trying to figure out what is going on. Has anyone ever head of something like this happeneing? Motor was rebuilt about 5 years ago. Runs very strong but just stumped on why this is happening. Thanks

appdeuce

Sorry you all did not get the full story, I am currently looking at this truck. The guy that I am trying to get it from is trying to get rid of it, he said that that was the only problem with it. It is a 1963 Studebaker. Should be able to get it for less than a grand. I dont know how this got into the command post sorry!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think more info is in order. Have you tried diesel? Have you seen what he is calling silicone? I am thrown by the silicone statement. Can you get pics of the motor?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
IF the problem is it will run on starting fluid, but not liquid from the tank - let us know, this is a common - and often easily solved problem.

Regards,
David Doyle

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: lds 427-2 runs on silicone but not diesel

DDoyle said:
IF the problem is it will run on starting fluid, but not liquid from the tank - let us know, this is a common - and often easily solved problem.

Regards,
David Doyle
Ok that makes sense...finally... So the engine is running on the solvent in the silicone spray. Probably a fuel problem.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
RE: Re: RE: lds 427-2 runs on silicone but not diesel

Personally, I would hesitate before buying a truck from somebody who thinks it's a good idea to spray silicone spray into an engine's air intake. Maybe he also thinks that nonfat milk is a good crankcase oil additive.

acetomatoco

RE: Re: RE: lds 427-2 runs on silicone but not diesel

It apparently is a fuel problem..you can check the intank pump by opening the bleeder on the fuel filters with the accy switch on...if you get a good squirt, then it may be a IP problem...lots of times the head on the IP will be stuck.. due to setting.. there are procedures in the archives here, for that situation I believe... I had one of the early Studebakers with the 427... first production run of the MF....and the name of course was old smokey...

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Re: RE: Re: RE: lds 427-2 runs on silicone but not diesel

acetomatoco said:
It apparently is a fuel problem..you can check the intank pump by opening the bleeder on the fuel filters with the accy switch on...if you get a good squirt, then it may be a IP problem.
Also, you should be able to hear the in-tank pump running with the accessory switch turned on and the low-air buzzer unplugged (the buzzer is loud enough to drown out the much quieter pump noise).

There are a number of possible problems which could keep the engine from running off its regular fuel supply, such as bad in-tank pump, clogged lines or filters, various injection pump problems, or air in the system that needs to be bled out at the injector lines. The solutions to those sorts of problems run the full range from a half hour of wrench-turning with no money spent, all the way up to difficult replacement of expensive stuff. We'll help you figure out what's wrong, and this board is one of the best places around to ask for this kind of help.

Good luck!

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: lds 427-2 runs on silicone but not diese

Is there a military 1963 Studebaker? If not then this is not going to have buzzers and such probably like our trucks have. Other things are probably different too.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: lds 427-2 runs on silicone but not diese

If the truck is close to your house - and is less than a grand - presuming the frame is OK I'd go for it - if the engine runs at all, the starting situation can be fixed, and from the preservationist/restorer point of view, the 427 powered trucks are scarce and desirable.

If you're looking at a massive tow bill because of distance, or you want to mod the truck - then this become a much more difficult call to make.

Hope this helps,
David

AMGeneral

Appdeuce,

I live less than a hour away from you,i'd be glad to go look at the truck with you and help in your decision.PM me if you are interested,

AMGeneral

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Oh, the LDS-427 has a turbo. Unlike the LDT, whose turbo was put on solely for emmissions reasons, the 427's turbo was there for power.

Unfortunately, the engine had a few other issues, and was replaced by the 465 fairly quickly.

But indeed, the LD-465 is a great producer of smoke.

Regards,
David

appdeuce

Ok sorry to keep you all waiting. My computer crashed, and it had all the pics. Here is what i have got. You were right about the fumes off the can, quick fix. And to my luck when the accesory switch is turned the pump is not getting power. Check it with the voltmeter. I have also changed all the fuel filters and will start the electrical testing tomm.

Thanks for offering the help
I live less than a hour away from you,i'd be glad to go look at the truck with you and help in your decision.PM me if you are interested,

AMGeneral
I'am going to hit it tomm all day and see how it works out, then mabey we can work something out.
We already towed the thing to my buddies place and started workin g on it, have not paid a dime for it if it runs 1200 if it dosent 750. Everything is in good order minus the pump problem.

Thank Youall for all the help.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There should be a fuse on the top of the tank. If its at your place, it didn't run. Give the man 750. You will eventually get it to run, whats his time frame?

appdeuce

The intank fuel pump is bad. The pump makes no noise what so ever, when powered. The blade does spin freely, and the fuse is good. I'am lost at what it could be.

derby

I would agree,Your pump is bad.If You have 24v at the pump and the fuse checks good =bad pump.I think they are about $300 bucks.It sounds like a fair deal even with the bad pump.