• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS 427 Motor Problems

Firefighter1303

Alright everyone I am new to this as you know, thanks for the help on figuring out what kind of truck I have, but I am having some motor problems.
The truck is slow to start from cold. (40*F here) it takes 2 or 3 cycles of 20 to 30 seconds of cranking to start with a minute or 2 wait in between, when it does start, its rough till it warms up, smooths out and Idles great at about 750 or so, It will sit there and Idle all day long no problems, except the exhaust is black and will almost burn your eyes.... But when you take off and go down the road I can only get a couple of hundred feet and it starts dying out dont even get to 3rd gear and dies. then when it finally does start back it wont idle and I have to keep it at 1500 or more to keep it running, but it keeps dying out takes for ever to get back to the garage,,,,, I changed the fuel filters thinking that was it and the air filter too., Fuel pump is on the outside of the tank and pumps good lots of pressure. Tank is full of black crud like tar and sand,,,, running out of a 5 gallon can now, till I get tank cleaned out.... Any Ideas on what the problem is?????????

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Black smoke and burning eyes tell me unburned fuel is blowing out the stack...could be you have one or more injectors not atomizing fuel (this is not good as you are spraying raw fuel into the cylinders) this can cause all type of probs.....including fuel getting into the oil pan and if enough gets in there the engine could "run away". This happened to my 5 ton wrecker and I have engine damage as a result.
CHECK YOUR OIL LEVEL EACH TIME BEFORE YOU TRY TO CRANK IT!!!!!
Why is the fuel pump outside the tank?????Has someone replaced the stock in-tank pump with an aftermarket one????
You will prob have to take the tank off and take it to a place that can submerge it in a cleaning vat and then rinse it out...there are baffles in there and the dam things are just flat out hard to clean.
Just my rambling thoughts.