• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS-427 vs LDT-465 in terms of "multifuel-ability"

Welder

Hello SS, I'm just getting into the deuce world. I'm building up m new welding rig on a deuce (it's one of the only trucks that can haul a military diesel welder :-D) So, i was looking at an M35A2, but the guy wanted $8500, far too much for the condition it was in. I found an A1 for a good price, but it will most liklly have a 427 in it. Now, I know all about running hydraulic fluid, ATF all them things in the 465 Multi, but will the 427 be able to run the same "waste" fuels as the 465?

Please ignore my lack of knowledge on these engines, but any inpu would be greatly appreciated :-D

Thanks in advance.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's basically the same engine, same stroke, less bore; same compression ratio with the same combustion principle. So why shouldn't it.....

I know of many 427s operating in my area. One (a Toele reman., diesel only...!) used to be mine over 10 years and has done at least 25K miles on pure SVO with no problems at all, during the last 3 years since I sold it. I guess it would run as well with WMO, ATF and any popular mixtures.

G.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
-A1s are getting quite rare. If you get an -A1 don't be surprised to find an LDT in it, there was a campaign in the Mil to repower them, even covered in front of one of the TMs.

emr

FYI I have a 427 in a crate with turbo , a long block i geuss its called, if anyone may be interested, please do not mind , It is hard to find people that know about and may want a 427,,, I accidently bought it is was billed as a 465, I learned alot the hard way, i had the other motor out, and went to pull the crate motor and then noticed the only thing really different, and that is the front cross member bolt holes, they are cast in the block of the 465 and the 427 can use the old style cross member from the gassers. they are tabs, i am susspecting that the turbo and pump and most parts are interchangable with the 465, any info would be appreciated...Thanks...Randy

knissen

I have both a LDS427 and a LD465, there is no difference in how the handle with alternative fuels. I run a lot of WMO and hydraulic oil - with no problems at all.
Running the truck for "free" is a nice benefit!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Armytruck63 I have always heard also to stay away from the LDS 427 and look for the LDT/LDS 465 I have NEVER heard anybody explain WHY the 427 is considered BAD, does anybody have the reason the 427 should be avoided?? I would sure like to know?
KK

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
They don't have the rpm capability that the 465s do. When exceeded, they brake. If you keep them within spec, they do just fine, from what I have heard from the 427 owners.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks