• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS 427 worth rebuilding

aheilmann68

I recently aquired a LDS 427 that was a depot rebuild but sat outside of the crate for a while and looks pretty bad. I was thinking of rebuilding it or taking the parts off it has everything but the turbo and the turbo to intake manifold elbow. Is this engine worth rebulding and putting in a truck or would it be better to take the parts off and use them for my 465-1D. I was reading that the engine are the same? but the bores are differend and different injectors. will 427 injectors and a 427 head work on a 465? not much information is out there when i look up the 427 except everyones opinion that the 427 is terrible with only one of two people saying they are good

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IMHO, I'd pull the injectors, squirt some penetrating oil into each cyl, let it sit a day, repeat. Then try turning it over by hand, if it's all free, I'd try ground pounding it with the starter then. (First spin it over with the injectors out with the starter to ensure most of the oil is out) So long as no water has accumulated in the cyls, I'm betting it'll run. The multi in my wrecker sat for 12 years without being ran. It fired up even with a seized (rust) turbo. The current engine in my deuce had a couple of gallons of rain water in the pan as well. Mutifuels aren't overly stout, but they seem to stand up to poor storage/useage at lot better than other engines.

aheilmann68

The motor spins free and everything I think it's ready to run. I'm just wondering if it's worth cleaning up and over hauling it or is it better for parts. So far it seems the engine is not great so not quite sure what to do

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would check under the valve covers for rust. If its there, it is easy to clean up. I would clean it up and start the motor up. It will run with out the turbo. If its a runner, I would keep it and try to find the parts its missing. If not, I'd pull the good parts from it and scrap the block.

hdexpert

A while ago Kipman and I picked up a used LDT in a can from GL for very little $$$. My idea was to strip it, sell parts and make some cash.
We took it to a friends garage, got the top off the container and noticed the lines were unscrewed from the HH and there was a lot of rust. Next, the valve covers came off and there was quite a bit of rust so we decided there had been a lot of water in the engine.
I say all of this because after we completely parted the motor out all other internals looked great. No rust on the cylinder walls, oil pan, ect.
Change the oil, get fuel and electricity to it and start it in the can. I bet she's a runner....good luck!!

aheilmann68

pulled the valve covers, no rust so to speak just paint chipping. it turns freely and has good compression as it needs a cheater bar to rotate. I pulled the coolant runners off the intake and checked them, they have a mineral deposite issuse so may need to flush the engine. but other than that, a broken fuel shut off rod on the IP and no fuel filter cans it might run.

my question is is this motor worth putting into a truck? like there is little feedback of what these engines are capable of. the TMs say that it has a tad more hp and torque but alot of people say to trade up. My LDT now has a little oil weeping at the head gasket and will monitor that and either replace it on the truck or swap motors and rebuild the LDT. Will a LDT-1D turbo work on a 427? i would think it would due to the 427-2 being turbo

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd run your current LDT into the ground giving you time to fix up and keep the LDS for a later swap. No need to waste any miles left on either engine and a backup is always good to have.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
98% of those who say avoid at all costs have never seen one, let alone owned or driven one!

jatonka

The turbos from the LDT 465 engines are too small, but, that would reduce the smoke from the 427. Also reduce the horse power. I run a LDS 427-2 in a deuce dump truck and it is very powerful and dependable. I have another 427 that I bought with a broken crank, known in advance. I bought it for the giant turbo that comes on them.
I had to change a head gasket on one and it turns out the 465 head gaskets work perfectly.
I would keep it, it is substantially more powerful than a 465 unless you buy an LDS-465-1A from a 5 ton. JT out

vtdeucedriver

The turbos from the LDT 465 engines are too small, but, that would reduce the smoke from the 427. Also reduce the horse power. I run a LDS 427-2 in a deuce dump truck and it is very powerful and dependable. I have another 427 that I bought with a broken crank, known in advance. I bought it for the giant turbo that comes on them.
I had to change a head gasket on one and it turns out the 465 head gaskets work perfectly.
I would keep it, it is substantially more powerful than a 465 unless you buy an LDS-465-1A from a 5 ton. JT out

No wonder you and I get along so well..............Were just crazy for that oddball stuff!!

Keep the 427, if you loose interest in it, sell it as is to someone that will appreciate that engine for what it is.

aheilmann68

well you guys arent going to like the news but i ended up stripping it down a few weeks ago, kept all the parts except the block so if anyone needs any 427 parts pm me, kept the crank pistons and every other part less the liners and block as i could not figure out how they are removed and the tms seemed to skip that step. anyone also know if the heads and valve train are the same as the 465? thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks