• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS-465-1A in Deuce

randyman

I picked up two deuces a couple of months ago that I won in a GL auction. I hadn't originally planned on getting two but stuff happens. Besides, right after winning them my brother had one "sold" to the company he works for to haul a tank to fuel heavy equipment. Everything seemed like it was falling into place. One is a converted gasser with a winch, new cab, Hercules LDT-465-1D engine (D turbo) with a manufacture date of 5-88 and a good body. The other is a 1965 Jeep with a heater, racks and bows and cargo cover. The plan was to take the heater, racks, bows, cargo cover and any other "better" parts from the 1965 and swap them. Now for the catch- the engine tag on the 1965 indicates that it is an LDS-465-1A with a Teade rebuild (all STD bearings) date of 1-85. It has an IP that has an LDS-465-1A sticker on it and, from what I can tell from researching the topic, a C turbo (no waste gate). The question is how much better is the LDS vs the LDT-1D, how can you tell if the LDS has been rebuilt to LDT specs and if it is worth the effort to swap the engines? Any and all input would be appreciated. Before anyone asks, I have taken pictures but can't find the cord that came with the camera to connect to the USB port. Tried to get one at Wal-Mart but they didn't have one. I'll try Radio Shack when I get a chance and try to post them.

SasquatchSanta

When an LDS is installed on a deuce the starter would be on the right (passenge's) side --- same as an LDT. The LDS applied to a 5-ton has a different bellhousing and therefore the starter on the drivers side. The oil pan is turned around, LDT pan plumbing installed, and the dip stick tube re-positioned. All pretty simple stuff.

The engines look the same but there is a deffinite difference. The LDS has oil cooled pistons and (I believe) the block is modified for the pistons. I also believe the cam is different. My LDS sure sounds defferent that my old LDT. Runs like a scared rabit.

Also, late model LDS engines didn't have waste-gate turbos. It's odd that your engine came with a "C" turbo. Usually they came with "D" turbos.

Keep the LDS --- they're keepers.

DanMartin

:ditto:

I think my LDS is louder (mechanically) than an LDT. I've heard them running side-by-side and the LDS is definitely louder...probably due to the bigger injectors and maybe pump settings/timing. I would agree with Ernie that the cam is different as well...more lopey.

If you have the motor, it's an easy swap and you'll love the results.

Ernie, did you keep the stock exhaust pipe on yours? Mine is a funky half-5-ton/half deuce contraption that has rusted through...was going to go with a new stocker multifuel j-pipe from OD Iron, but wanted to make sure it would fit before I spent the $$$. We have the same turbo on our engines (from the pics you've posted).

SasquatchSanta

Dan Martin wrote:

Ernie, did you keep the stock exhaust pipe on yours? Mine is a funky half-5-ton/half deuce contraption that has rusted through...was going to go with a new stocker multifuel j-pipe from OD Iron, but wanted to make sure it would fit before I spent the $$$. We have the same turbo on our engines (from the pics you've posted).
My standard LDT deuce j-pipe bolted right up --- no problems. As previously mentioned, my LDS came with a "D" turbo fo everything fit on the standard deuce exhaust. I don't know if the same applies to an engine that is equipped with a earlier waste-gate turbo.

When we installed the LDS engine last year several of the same guys that heard the LDT run when I pulled the truck into the shop also heard the LDS when we started it up. The first comment was, "wow! it may look like the same engine but it doesn't sound the same." One guy said it sounded more like a Thermodyne Mack than a Multi.

jasonjc

I have a LDT 465-D with a LDS injector pump. It has no more power than any of my other trucks. Well the pump has a big sticker that says LDS on it at least.

SasquatchSanta

alphadeltaromeo wrote:

You should post a few youtubes of your MV. Would love to see it rolling and also, would love to hear it.
Thank you --- I hate to admit this but I bought a high zoot and expensive movie camera a few months back and haven't got around to using it. Hopefully I'll get into it soon as I'd like to do some streaming video not only for utube but also for the website.

Thanks again.