• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS 465 205 H.P

kaiser2help

I was wondering if there was someone who could help explain to me on how to by pass the compensator pump on my multifuel engine. I only burn home heating oil or pump diesel. I was also wondering if that this procedure is not recommended. I guess that compensator is there for a reason. Help on the topic would be appreciated.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please, do a search on this site, subject has been covered multiple times....access forum and use search function in the heading, keywords like "FDC", "bypassed", etc...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not too many folks check the website help forum either. Perhaps listing this in the appropriate forum will generate more help.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the compensator is not leaking fuel into the crankcase, there is no need to bypass it. Its function is to adjust the fuel delivery based on its viscosity (=BTU value) so that the engine power output remains the same for a given position of the "gas" pedal.
It has nothing to do with the engine's ability to burn a particular fuel.
It only works for the fuels listed in the TM and actually works against fuels like biodiesl and veggie oil.
Biodisel and veggie oil have about the same BTU value as gasoline, but has a higher viscosity, so the compensator lowers the delivery "thinking" that it is dealing with a higher BTU fuel. Hope that makes sense.

BTW, the TM 9-2815-210-34-2-1 lists the 1A engine as a 175 HP engine....that's why I was wondering about the title....

kaiser2help

Thanks bjorn. I must have gotten my resources mixed up. I thought ldt was 175 hp & lds was 205 hp. The good thing is the crankcase oil does not appear to have any excessive diesel fuel smell or presence. Also were would one obtain the diaphram or seal for the FDC. aLso while were on the topic. This engine runs at 180 degrees. I would like to see 190 or 195 to allow proper expansion of the cylinders and assemblies etc. maybe this would help clear up the smoke a little.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No seal for the FDC, apparently metal to metal seal with honed surfaces.
The thermostat begins to open at 180°F and is fully open at 190 or so.
These engine rarily runs above 185. The engines are pretty efficient as is the cooling system....
Best way to clear up the smoke is to take the truck on a hard 50-100 mile run, the engine will love it.

kaiser2help

Yes I have read somewhere that this infact uses a piston and a smooth honed cylinder surface. Hope this never wears out . You are right a good run cleans it right out. Read in that manual you mentioned and thats the right engine temp, 180. Thanks for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks