• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS Hydraulic Pump Powering a Hmmwv Hydraulic Winch

welldigger

I believe that's just a gear pump. I have replaced worn out gear pumps that didn't make much more noise than a new pump. They leaked more than anything.

welldigger

Does the intake port on your oil tank have a screen in it? I watched your 3rd video and that sounds like fluid starvation to me. I had a ditching machine that the suction screen clogged and that's exactly what it sounded like when you reved it up and tried to engage the digging chain.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tank is always foamy.
I think we've found most of the problem. Until you get the oil to quit foaming, the setup will never work right.

With how you had the gauge installed, even if everything is working like it should, the gauge should read near zero.

rustystud

It is still cavitating Dan. I have worked with a lot of vane pumps and that is what it is doing. You must put the return line in the top of the tank. Keep the suction line on the bottom where it is. Let your system settle down overnight and check the fluid level in the morning. You should be able to fill the system to the proper level and then run it, after you reroute that return line. One good thing, vane pumps can take cavitating better then gear pumps.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You must put the return line in the top of the tank.
I have to disagree with this. I've have run into problems on systems before where the return dumped into the top of the tank. You can create bubbles in the fluid when the return fluid free falls into the fluid in the sump. It's ok to run the return into the side of the tank but it needs to be below the fluid level.

rustystud

I have to disagree with this. I've have run into problems on systems before where the return dumped into the top of the tank. You can create bubbles in the fluid when the return fluid free falls into the fluid in the sump. It's ok to run the return into the side of the tank but it needs to be below the fluid level.
When I said to put the return line in the top I didn't mean drop it in. If you read my previous post you will see I said put it just below the full line. I just got lazy with my typing in the last post. In his situation with a small tank like that it is better then returning the fluid to the bottom where the suction line will pick it up so fast.

So I welded the fitting in the tank for the suction hose. I left the return line fitting where it is because it is actually baffled in side the tank. The whine is gone and the winch works great. Now the only problem I have is the new suction fitting I have leaks.

Attachments

rustystud

So I welded the fitting in the tank for the suction hose. I left the return line fitting where it is because it is actually baffled in side the tank. The whine is gone and the winch works great. Now the only problem I have is the new suction fitting I have leaks.
Complain, complain, complain ! That's all you do Dan ! LOL !!! Glad to hear it's working now !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks