• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS Hydraulic Pump Powering a Hmmwv Hydraulic Winch

Stan

I just read all this for the first time. In your first post you stated that the pump inlet was 3/4 and it was supplied with 1/2 hose. In your last mod. you also increased the supply hose to 3/4. This solved your starvation problem not the relocation.

rustystud

I just read all this for the first time. In your first post you stated that the pump inlet was 3/4 and it was supplied with 1/2 hose. In your last mod. you also increased the supply hose to 3/4. This solved your starvation problem not the relocation.
I'm sure it helped ( I didn't see that when I first read the post), but the pump will cavitate if the suction line is too close to the return line. I have worked with hydraulics for years including design on marine applications and you never run your lines that close.

spicergear

As far as tank design with low volume, take a look in Summit or Jegs at 'dry sump' oil tanks. The good ones are designed with a cone shaped bottom with suction being pulled there and the return fitting is welded into the side of the tank to promote the fluid to swirl. That swirl makes the bubbles say to the outside while the good oil without bubbles is pulled out of the center bottom. Most hydraulic tanks are larger capacity. you may also want to slap in a filter somewhere. I had a small tank, pump, motor, winch set up and it pulled great once...then stopped. Couldn't figure it out until I pulled the hydraulic motor apart. The pump must've picked up a piece of weld slag or something that came loose or was unseen the pump pushed it through but the motor tolerances are too tight to absorb something like that and still work well. Hint, hint... ;)

rustystud

As far as tank design with low volume, take a look in Summit or Jegs at 'dry sump' oil tanks. The good ones are designed with a cone shaped bottom with suction being pulled there and the return fitting is welded into the side of the tank to promote the fluid to swirl. That swirl makes the bubbles say to the outside while the good oil without bubbles is pulled out of the center bottom. Most hydraulic tanks are larger capacity. you may also want to slap in a filter somewhere. I had a small tank, pump, motor, winch set up and it pulled great once...then stopped. Couldn't figure it out until I pulled the hydraulic motor apart. The pump must've picked up a piece of weld slag or something that came loose or was unseen the pump pushed it through but the motor tolerances are too tight to absorb something like that and still work well. Hint, hint... ;)
I thought he had a filter on his system ?

No not yet.... I am installing one. Like I said it all works beautifully now just need to fix the leak on the suction fitting. I've put about 50 miles on the truck since install. Need a few fittings and I'll be plumbing in a adjustable flow control valve with a adjustable relief and the filter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks