• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS VS LDT and the real differences

rustystud

No Greg, I literally mean I don't know who made my engine. My data plate just says multifuel. Mine was rebuilt in 91. I guess they pulled the data plate and swapped it for a generic plate. The rebuild plate underneath it has the rod and main bearings listed that they used and a few other bits of info. That's it.
OK Jake I see what you mean. I've never heard of that before .

rustystud

That would be the most sensible way. Is that how it's done? No idea.

A big part of mix and match parts may be because of suppliers going out of business. Such as continental. If you have a Continental block rebuilt in the late 80's or 90's then chances are you have hercules/white parts in your engine.
If they rebuild there engines in anyway like the transit department does, then you will never know what went on from who. The engines that come in for rebuild get totally stripped down. I mean TOTALLY ! Then the individual parts get rebuilt ie: water pumps, rods, cranks, cams you name it, it gets rebuilt-refurbished. Then the parts go onto the rebuild racks. When an item is ready to go on an engine it is pulled from the rebuilt racks. Since the engines are all the same there is no problem going together, but they never go back onto there original engine.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ha!
I never noticed...

"This engine conforms to U.S. environmental protection agency regulations applicable to 1974 model year heavy duty engines"

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
dataplate engine 1.jpgdataplate engine 5.jpgdataplate engine 8.jpg

]I have searched, no joy, I am fresh out of search terms.

I want to know what "fuel rate at advertised HP and 74 mm' /stroke
means as on the engine tag pictured

Anybody know exactly what the 74mm' /stroke means?
I do not see it meaning 74 mm³ and the " ' " usually means minutes.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to TM 9-2910-226-34, table 3-4: Calibration of LDT-465-1C.
For full load @ 2600 rpm it shows 37-34 cc (cm³)/500 strokes. That is 74-68 mm³ per each stroke.

G.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Was just rereading the TM and did anyone see that the code A IP booster pump made 80lbs of fuel pressure.
Absolute cleanliness of fuel pump parts must be maintained during all disassembly,
inspection, repair, and assembly procedures. Dust, dirt, grime, or any abrasive matter
must not come in contact with precision lapped surfaces of internal parts (para 3-2).
Support the pump housing so that the timing pointer will not be damaged (para 3-16b).
Care should be exercised during installation of the compensator on code A pumps. The
top of the fuel control link is not secured to the piston shaft. If the top of the link does
not remain engaged in the shaft, the stop plate will fall into the governor housing
causing serious damage to the pump (para 3-46a). Do not allow the fuel pressure to
exceed 400 psi (para 3-51g).

brianp454

Yep! That’s a problem. I don’t think it belongs in this thread though (except in relation to another post on your particular engine).

FYI, thin-walled tubes under pressure will commonly fail with a longitudinal crack or split due to the fact that the stress through the hoop is twice the stress along the length. Refer to this:

http://www.mathalino.com/reviewer/mechanics-and-strength-of-materials/thin-walled-pressure-vessels

I’ve seen a number of postings here with a crack in the liner similar to yours. All of them appear to be straight along the length. This makes me wonder if the failure is 1) due to design, 2) due to expected stress related issues as above, 3) manufacturing issues related to the sleeve, or 4) ?

Can you share more info when you get that liner out? I'm curious if the crack runs all the way to the bottom.

And if you look at my picture, you can clearly see it's a catastrophe :mrgreen: