• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS VS LDT and the real differences

ShawnIfert

I took the easy way out and sourced a reman injection pump. I thought about converting my pump. The cost of the parts needed, tools and the time, justified for me buying the LDS injection pump. It was about 1000 bucks at the end of the day, but I have a pump that is built correctly. I know it's true condition and it has a warranty. lol

You can make an lds from the ldt. But like you had said it is getting the correct parts. If you pulled the old numbers together and contacted a Bosch dealer they should be able to cross reference the old part number to the current part used. I do it all the time for the equipment that I am maintaining for my company.

ScubaCat

I always like working on those large engines. The biggest I ever played with was a 16 cylinder Detroit. Basically 2ea. 8V92's bolted together.
My dad worked on the fueling systems on the massive multi-fuel worthington engines.... I wanna say they were about 80 tons each? What I would, for the lack of a better term, call the fuel injectors weighed about 200 lbs each. I think running them flat out was about 900rpm???

2deuce

I read the whole thread and it might be in there somewhere, but what is the difference between the the LDS465-1 and the LDS465-1a? Is it only the 1 hole injectors? I have a 1a with no injectors and what looks like an old IP bolted loosely on a rebuilt engine.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I read the whole thread and it might be in there somewhere, but what is the difference between the the LDS465-1 and the LDS465-1a? Is it only the 1 hole injectors? I have a 1a with no injectors and what looks like an old IP bolted loosely on a rebuilt engine.
Not enough to worry about. Its been established that the 2 hole injectors flow as much and smoke less(from exhaust). I'd run the 2 hole injectors.

2deuce

So that is the reason for the "a" in "-1a", just injectors? I bought a LDS in the can years ago because it was super cheap. It was marked scrap...spun bearing, but it was complete. I thought I would move over parts to the rebuilt engine that were scavenged off it, like injectors and IP and after reading all this, I thought I should make sure there are no other differences between "-1" and "1a".

Thanks

Theodgeman

Does the gear bolt onto the cam or is it pressed on with a alignment key? I know the 5.9 6bt Cummins you can change the key to play with the timing.

rustystud

041.jpg044.jpg017.jpg042.jpg046.jpg040.jpg

Well today was our first "snow" of the year. We got 3" here and everything shut-down ! So after doing my outside chores I went in and decided to clean up the shop and my work bench. After that I saw two of my injection pumps laying there (the other ones are in my container) . One was a LDS and the other a LDT pump. Since I have been planning on taking them apart and rebuilding them and also since I have wanted to find out the differences between the two I decided today was the day to start. After removing the Hydraulic Heads from both I went ahead and checked the total "Lift" of both pumps. I had thought that the LDS would have a slightly higher lift but I was wrong. Their both at 0.235" lift. Actually the LDT had a lift of 0.234" but that 0.001" is within tolerance so I discounted that difference. I used my most accurate "NSK" dial indicator with the mounting kit so it was solidly mounted. I performed the test over 10 times on each so I know I was getting the most accurate readings. This finding is rather disappointing as I was looking for the "smoking gun" here and found nothing. I'll keep checking for differences as I rebuild them, but I believe the differences will be found in the Hydraulic Heads themselves.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will find the differences in the timing advance and governor.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, the difference is listed in the IP tm.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks