• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lds wastegate turbo on an M35

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
this is all interesting, but with such a poor flowing head i think it is all a waste of time, just chasing rainbows. you can get a much better idea of things by learning about turbine and compressor maps and using some of the on line computors to calculate hp based on fuel, boost and rpm. once you learn all that you will see that 200 hp is about all you are ever going to get.

for instance : http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/aftermarket/matchbot.aspx

Last edited:

JasonS

Well, I have a spare rebuilt wastegate turbo set up withe larger LDS465-2 compressor and housing ready to bolt on..... And I turned the fuel down.

As to the head flow capability. Does anyone actually have any numbers?

DavidWymore

Thought I might try to freshen this one up and also subscribe. I have a deuce with a LDS-465-1A and the 4LE-354. First deuce, so I have nothing to reference from, but she feels a bit weak to me. Like lots of low RPM grunt from sheer cubes, but not much hp with throttle. I'm coming from driving a tweaked manual trans Cummins Dodge.
Course the deuce is old and neglected and needs valves adjusted, fuel system cleaned, injectors checked.... I am very interested to see how it does once I get the kinks out and get gauges on it. Also hopefully get to drive an A2 this weekend so I have something to go off of.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

There has been speculation about whether installing a stiffer spring, or shimming the stock one with washers might make a difference, but no reports of it being attempted yet.

merlot566jka

For what its worth, the D turbo is capable of much more boost if you intercool the charge air. But it is very far out of its efficency map (which I have yet to see, but can tell by the temp and sound)

Heres a video of me testing with a small load. This is on diesel with the pump turned up pretty far.

http://youtu.be/ANRBPwaUxYA

Also, I did eventually melt #6 piston. I attribute it to blowby and low oil causing #6 piston to overheat and damage the rings, and overpressure the crankcase. Without doubt, this can be attributed to pushing the engine too far. I estimate roughly 20,000 miles with this kind of boost. The egt frequently was above 1200* with spikes as high as 1400*

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks