• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT 465-1C engine sound check

TruckGuy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK guys. Newbie owner here. Not sure if this will work, but here goes....

Just a shade tree mechanic here. But, I have always worked on gasoline engines. Wanted to see if you more experienced guys could tell me if my engine "sounds" the way it should. Sounds pretty good to me, maybe a tic on top end. But again, I'm used to hearing gasoline engines.

What do you think?

Haven't had time to really go through the TMs yet. Besides filters and fluid changes, is there engine maintenance to do on a regular basis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlStg0TuBKs&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't had time to really go through the TMs yet
How did you find the time to find, buy and retrieve your new truck(and make a video) and post about it?

Have you had time to check the brake fluid yet?

TruckGuy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
doghead - LOL... True. I have spent time with the TMs. Just not that "cover to cover looked at every page" time. Much of want I have picked up have been from here and youtube vids. Has been a steep learning curve. But I am a true "newbie". A week before I went to check out the truck for the first time, I wouldn't have been able to pick a M35A2 Deuce and a Half out of a picture lineup. The night before that first visit I was watching vids on "How to start a M35A2". I had never driven anything like a Deuce. The day I completed the sale (private owner - never even meet the guy), I was making trips up and down the back street to learn how to drive this beast. Then it was an hour trip home. I had a blast that day, more fun than I had had in a long time.

The brakes? LOL Yup, the day of the pickup, I spent the better part of the day checking things out. That included using my freshly built garden sprayer power bleeder to bleed the brakes (thanks to this forum!). Yup, also did the water test to make sure it was DOT5 fluid in the system. Will probably add a remote reservoir to keep a check on the level.

cranetruck - I remember the gauge readings matched up to some notes I had written down and stayed steady on the trip home. But don't remember the numbers off hand. I will try to run the truck for a while today and get the info.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very glad to here it! [thumbzup]

Thanks for the reply.

I hope the site continues to be help guys like you. (and vice versa)

Flyingvan911

Definitely a hole in cylinder number 8. He, he. Go through the whole brake system to make sure everything is in tip top shape.

Last edited:

TruckGuy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. Glad to have others confirm it's sounding good. I do plan on going through the complete braking system. It does look like some if not all of the rubber brake lines have been replaced. Also think that 3 of the wheel cylinders have been replaced. When I was bleeding the brakes, 3 of the bleed screws were metric. Regardless, I plan on going through the whole brake system. Just too important not to check everything with my own hands.

Actually, things look pretty good under the truck. Little oil toward the back of the engine, but not real bad. There's a bit of rust here and there. Again not too bad.

Flyingvan911 - hate in when that happens, takes those hard to find special tools to work on that #8 cylinder :whistle:

Here's a short vid of the gauges after the engine had been running at idle for 15min or so. Man, there's a lot rattles inside the cab to try to find.

Oil - 30
RPM - 700
Temp - Just moving past 120
Air - 120 (a bit high? think it may drop to 90+ when driving)
Voltage - in the green
Fuel - Yup, it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QjYPu8kgDo

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RPM that low will rattle the crap out of your headlights. Once oil pressure comes up, bump it to 1k ish. Welcome to the hobby!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks