• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT-465-1D with Whistler Turbo in 54' M54

msisco

Hi Guys,

I finally got the engine data tag info. Here is what it says.

Model: LDT-465-1D
Date: 5-89

It does have the loud whister turbo on it.

This is in the 1954 M54 i just picked up. Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, Although that turbo whistles. It is the larger LDS turbo with the wastegate. A much better setup than the "C" model. Most 5ton multi's use this model.

wsucougarx

Hmm, I've never seen a LDT in a 5 ton before. I guess there's a first for everything. Most MF 5 ton engines are the LDS-465-1A. Did the previous owner swap out the motor for the desirable LDS?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The oil dipstick is at the rear of the block and no starter visable so I'm going to say it is a LDS and not an LDT.

wsucougarx

Hey Mike, can you get a pick of the dataplate attached to the injector pump? I'm really curious about this now. Typically if it is an LDS IP it will state so on the dataplate.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It is very possible that its an LDT. The 92 built LDT I put in my wrecker has all the features the LDS has except the Larger turbo and the LDS pump. It would not surprise me that this is in-fact an LDT. If the tag on the block says LDT thats what you have to go by.

msisco

I guess that is a good thing that it has a newer engine? I am still learning a lot every day about these trucks. I could either have a bastard truck or one that is a great setup. But I am still clueless as to what I have other than I love it.

Is the LDT-465-D1 with what ever turbo I have a good setup compared to the other options that are out there? That's my real concern is that I have a weird homebrew rebuild. Maybe it's just a really OLD M54 that has been properly updated by the military over the last 47 years even though it has an uncommon engine?

Is there anyway to get a service history on this truck? I am waiting to hear back from CARNC.

I don't have a clear picture of the Injection Pump but I am going out to the truck Friday so I will check the number on the pump then. Hopefully I can make it to the rally!

Any ideas fellas on my rigs setup?

:beer:

msisco

I just verified it is a Model: LDT-465-1D Date: 5-89. It has the LDS-465 Injection pump?

Is this a good combo? I am having a problem with fuel delivery. I am just now starting to dig in and start the trouble shooting. I am going to start a new thread on the fuel delivery issue.

wsucougarx

Hmm, I know they make an IP specific to an LDS engine due to the fuel delivery differences. Don't know why they would mismatch the IP/engine. Wondering if you have the incorrect dataplate on your engine. What side of the engine is your starter? An LDT typically has the starter on the port side and an LDS has the starter on the starboard.

msisco

This weekend I pressure washed the engine and undercarrage and can now clearly see the data tags. The engine looks new and has a date of 1989 and LDT-456. The injection pump says LDS-465 and look like new. I found that the whole truck was red and the bed has been replaced. Could this have been a Military or other service Fire Truck or Fire Support truck? Maybe it has a civialian rebuild of random parts. I don't know if the LDT-465 engine is ok with the LDS-465 injection pump? Thoughts? Are these interchangeable?

Did the military ever paint their fire trucks RED or were they ALWAYS CAMO?

wsucougarx

From what I've been told the LDS and LDT IP are NOT interchangeable. In fact the injectors are suppose to be different as well b/w the LDS and LDT. One has one hole and another has two holes. Sorry can't tell you which is which. Wondering if your truck wasn't a civilian fire truck. Not sure if maybe the USAF painted their early trucks red or not but I do know the early USAF deuces were blue. Did you buy your truck from a private party?

msisco

Yes, the truck was a private party lien sale purchase. I have no history on this truck. Only lots of question as I try to figure this one out. It's been making me crazy trying to figure out what I have on my hands. I spent all day yesterday power washing it. What a difference! I can actually see what was under all the desert dust that accumulated over the last six years it was sitting.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No, the IPs being from different motors is fine. I know a few who have had LDS pumps on LDT motors. What you have is a good motor that should last. Where is the fuel delivery issue thread?